Millican, Milligan, Millikan, Milliken, Millikin, Mullican, Mulliken, Mullikin etc
Donegore, Ballyclare, Lisnalinchy & Bruslee
The Six Mile Water in Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, begins it’s course in the upper reaches of Ballynure, and makes it’s way westward towards Lough Neagh, passing through an open valley which contains the town of Ballyclare and villages of Ballynure, Ballyeaston, Doagh, Parkgate and Templepatrick. From about 1603 onwards, a growing number of Scots and English began to settle in the valley, mainly on the newly acquired estates of Sir Arthur Chichester of Carrickfergus, Sir John Clothworthy of Antrim and Sir Humphrey Norton of Templepatrick. The latter sold his small estate to Captain Henry Upton in 1628. Barely two years earlier, Josias Welsh, an eminent Scottish preacher and son of John Welsh, minister of Ayr, founded the Presbyterian Church of Templepatrick. By 1630, the muster roll of Henry Upton's estate reveals the name of one of the first Millikin settlers “William Moligan”, a British tenant in or near Templepatrick1. It is very likely this man was the father of "Gilbert Millikin", a tenant in the Grange of Ballyrobert then part of the parish of Templepatrick. In the 1669 Hearth Tax Roll, Gilbert Millikin paid two-
In 1669, the Grange of Ballyrobert was part of the old manor of Ballylinney, originally granted to Sir Arthur Chichester, first earl of Donegal. The principal tenants listed are: “Simon Biggam, Allex. Browne, John Browne, Robert Carrs, Hugh Chambed, Andrew Harper, Constable, Widow Jumphry, Robert Jelewels, Thomas Kimin, John Lough, senior, John Lough, junior, Widow McCadam (1666, Quintin McAdam, Ballylinney Parish), William McEldodey, Thomas McElwry, Gilbert Millikin, Edmond Murphy, John Murphy, Neale Murphy, Thomas Still, Hugh Wallace and John Wason, a weaver”, all paid two-
October 30, 1709
Mary Mulligan (Tanghy, subscribed by Mr. Mulligan dated Feb. 8, 1709).
May 26, 1713
Jas. Miliken (Mr. Wilson, Ballyclare, May 26, 1713).
Testimonials given to:
February 2, 1719
Mary Miliken left us at ye date hereof.
April 24. 1719
Mary Miliken, alias Gray, left us at alsaints last.
The 1669 Hearth Tax Rolls also record the names of John Millikin, senior, and John Millikin, junior, tenants in Donegore and John Millikin in Rathbeg, townlands located in the parish of Donegore, and John Millikin in Rathmore, John Millikin and Widow Milikin both in Dunadry, townlands in the parish of Nilteen Grange. The parishes of Donegore and Nilteen Grange are located on the north side of the Six Mile Water, along the main highway that runs between the towns of Ballyclare and Antrim. The parish of Donegore itself was part of the old manor of Moylinney, which belonged to Sir Arthur Chichester, first Earl of Donegal. In 1669, the names of 31 heads of household appear in the townland of Donegore and nearly all, appear to have been of Scottish origin. They include the surnames, Adair, Anderson, Blair, Crawford, Douglas, Gordon, Henderson, Kilchrist, Murray and Wallace. Most, if not all the Millikins appear to have been sub-
The Hearth Tax Rolls of 1666-
The Millikins of Donegore
In his Genealogical manuscript, Gustave Anjou reproduced an extract of the last will and testament of “John Milliken” of Donegore, published on 14th August 1721. It is given as follows: “to his wife Jean, one half of the crops on ground and one half of farm; ... my children [not named] personal property; ... mother Elizabeth Wolleigh, and brother James Muliken one half of farm”. He then appointed his brothers “Andrew and James Milikin” his sole executors. His will was made probate at the Diocese Court of Connor on 8th September 1721 and an inventory of his goods made on 7th October 1721. The inventory indicated his estate was valued to the sum of £18. 10s. 8d, and that a payment was due to “Wm. Mulekain £0.0.10”4. It can be inferred from John’s will that his children were not yet of legal age in 1721, suggesting he died relatively young, perhaps as a man aged between his mid thirties and forties. As his mother was still alive in 1721, chronological dating points to Elizabeth Wolleigh being the husband of John Milliken, junior, in 1669.
It is very likely Wm. Mulekain is the same “William Milligan” of the parish of Donegore, who married Agnes Watt of the parish of Antrim on May 8, 1678 at First Antrim Presbyterian Church. Neither the will of John Milliken or the Antrim church register indicates where William resided in the parish, but it seems not improbable that he was a younger son of John Milliken senior of Donegore. Two families of the name Watt appear in the parishes of Antrim and Donegore in the 1669 Hearth Tax Rolls: respectively, Gilbert Watt of Dunsilly, a neighbour of James Mulligan of Dunsilly, and Thomas Watt of Ballysavage. Interestingly, we find mention of a “John Welley” in the 1666 Hearth Tax Roll for the parish of Doagh5. The name Welley can be taken to be a corruption of the surname Wooley. Again, in this instance, it is not improbable John Welley could have been the father of Elizabeth Wooleigh, and that they lived in or near the village of Doagh or the town of Ballyclare, where a "James Miliken" lived in 1713.
By the mid 1700s, we find several Millikens, also spelt as Mulligan, living in the Donegore-
Samuel Millikin born c.1810 and died on Nov. 13, 1882 in Tobergill aged 72 years. He leased a farm extending to 24 acres 3 roods 30 perches in Tobergill from Robert S. Agnew and married Catherine Drummond about 1840; and they had:
1. Margaret Jane Millikin, b. July 21, 1876 in Tobergill.
2. Agnes Millikin, b. March 22, 1878 in Tobergill.
3. John Millikin, b. Jan. 18, 1880 in Tobergill.
1. Male child b. March 21, 1871 in Tobergill.
2. Catherine Millikin b. Nov. 30, 1872 in Ballymacarret, Belfast.
3. Nathaniel Millikin b. Jan. 5, 1875, in Ballymacarret, Belfast.
1. Robert Milliken b. Dec. 27, 1875 in Tobergill.
2. John Milliken b. Sept. 8, 1877 in Tobergill and d. Oct. 10, 1903 aged 25 years.
3. Samuel Milliken b. May 29, 1879 in Tobergill.
4. Nathaniel Milliken b. June 23, 1881 in Tobergill.
5. Catherine Milliken b. Feb. 23, 1883 in Tobergill and d. Feb. 2, 1905 aged 21 years.
6. Martha Ann Milliken b. June 6, 1884 in Tobergill and d. July 15, 1950 aged 66 years.
7. Agnes Milliken b. March 19, 1886 in Tobergill and d. Jan. 1, 1906 aged 19 years.
8. Joseph Drummond Milliken b. March 1, 1888 in Tobergill and d. on Dec. 28, 1957 aged 78 years in Browndod. He married Isabella Rankine and by this marriage had six children: Joseph Drummond, Janet
Drummond, William Robert, Elizabeth, Margaret Drummond and Sarah Drummond Millikin.
The earliest baptismal and marriage registers for Donegore First Presbyterian Church date from 1806. I have extracted the earliest entries relating the Surname and also those for Kilbride Presbyterian Church, which was erected into a congregation in 1848. Several other families appear in these registers and include, John Millikin of Belfast, whose daughter, Sophia Millikin, was baptised at First Donegore Presbyterian Church in 1834. The Millikins of Tobergill evidently had links with Belfast.
The Millikins of Ballygallagh and the Vicinity of Ballyclare
There are no Millikins listed in the 1669 Hearth Tax Roll for the town or district of Ballyclare, which at that time was nothing more than a little hamlet in the Grange of Doagh. However, the name Mulligan or Millikin Hill, also known as, Clements Hill, first appears on record on December 15, 1696, when ‘Edward Clements of Mulligan Hill’ purchased the townland of Dunamoy in the parish of Rashee from Jane Pottinger of Carrickfergus, widow of Capt. Edward Pottinger. Mulligan Hill was a townland located in the parish of Ballynure and in the Hearth Tax Roll of 1669, it was included in Ballyclare. It was the property of Richard Dobbs of Castle Dobbs near Carrickfergus, and was a separate property sold to Edward Clements, son of Henry Clements of Straid in the parish of Ballynure. How Mulligan Hill got its names is unclear, but since a family bearing the name Millikin, also spelt Mulligan, lived in the adjoining of townlands of Ballygallagh and Bruslee in the parish parish of Ballylinney, where the Millikins first appear in the early 1700s, it seems reasonable to suggested, it had been leased to them before Edward Clements. This family may also have been related to the Millikins of Ballyrobert and Donegore, and/or perhaps, the Millikins of Carrickfergus.
Map 1. Taylor & Skinner's Road Survey Map of Ireland 1777
In the Index to the Administration Bonds of the Consistorial Court of Connor, there is mention of a bond granted to the administrators of the estate of ‘John Mulligin’ of Carrickfergus in 1719. Unfortunately, the original bond was destroyed in a fire in the Four Courts in Dublin in 1922. The identity of this man remains an enigma, in so for as his family and descendants cannot be traced or linked to later persons of that ilk living in and around the town and corporation of Carrickfergus. A number of the men who held land in around the districts of Ballyclare and Ballynure, also held property in the town of Carrickfergus, which was the principal seat of Co. Antrim, including the Clement, Ellis and Crymble families. The Millikins of Donaghadee and Ballyholme in Co. Down, where related to the Cyrmble family of Carrickfergus, through the marriage of Marion Crymble, spouse of Quintin Millikin son of Robert Millikin of Ballyholme. Marion was related to the Crymble family is an intriguing enigma that can be quantified and reduced to almost a single family, but the material evidence necessary to link them is either missing or yet to be discovered, amongst the existing records available either in public or private records.
Map 2: Lendrick's Map of County Antrim 1780
In his book on the Millikens, Milligans, etc of North America, the Rev. G. T. Ridlon cites the history of one particular family who traced their ancestry to Samuel Millikin said to have first “settled” in Ballyclare early in the 18th century, suggesting he settled within the first few decades of this century7. It is almost certain, this Samuel is Samuel Millikin of Ballygallagh. This is certainly supported by contemporary evidence principally with James Millikin and Helen McHago. In the records of the Presbyterian Church of Carnmoney we find a testimonial by Mr. Thomas Wilson, minister of the Presbyterian Church of Ballyclare, for James Millikin a member there in 1713. He married Helen McHago from Carnmoney on May 26, 1713. The Rev. Thomas Wilson, a licentiate of the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy in Fife, was ordained at Ballyclare as assistant to Mr. Thomas Tuft on February 27, 1711. After Mr Tuft's death in 1713, Mr. Wilson became his successor and was minister of the congregation until 1757.
Samuel Millikin of Ballygallagh had a son called William Millikin, who appears to be William Millikin of Braidstown farm in the townland of Lisnalinchy and parish of Ballylinney (see Millikins of Braidstown). In turn, this William Millikin had a son called Samuel Millikin (1789-
Samuel MILLIKIN was the first to settled in Ballyclare early in the 18th century. His son:-
William Millikin had son:-
Samuel Millikin, whose son:-
James Millikin, whose sons:-
1 Samuel Millikin of Ballyclare, Co. Antrim, Ireland.
2. James Millikin of Belfast Banking Co.
3. Robert Millikin of Hurstville, Australia, b. at Ballyclare, Co. Antrim, December 3, 1854; m. Mary Agnes Black on
February 26, 1881. She died November 1, 1891. They had, James, William, Mary and Catherine. He married secondly,
in Hurstville, on December 6, 1893, Elizabeth Corr, and had three further children; Robert, Samuel and Alice.
In 1775, we find the names of James, Samuel, John and Samuel ‘Moulligan’ subscribed to a petition compiled by the Presbyterians of the “town and vicinity of Ballyclare” calling for the abolition of the Penal Laws8. By then, Ballyclare 'Old Presbyterian Church' belonged to the Non-
Map 3. Farm of James Millikin in the townland of Bruslee
Henry Ellis of Prospect, Carrickfergus, sold his lands of Bruslee and part of Ballygallagh to George Augustus Chichester, Marquess of Donegall, who had a rental of these lands drawn up, entitled a “Memorandum of The Measure, Rents formerly paid to Mr. Ellis with those now paid The Marquis of Donegal: Also the Purchases, Expenses attending Conveyance, etc of the Grand Lease of the Townland of Bruslee and part of Ballygaloch, purchased from H. Ellis Esq. of Prospect, Pr Messrs John Dundee and Wm Gardiner in trusts for the under named Tenants November 1, 1800”. For the 12 acres 1 roods of farm of “James Milliken & Co.”, the Marquis paid £125 17 shillings and 10 pence. The rental value of the farm came in total to £15 3 shillings 14 pence. The rental is dated February 18, 1802, by John Dundee. The boundaries of the old Millikin farm are delineated in the following map, which is dated from about 1860; see plots no. 23 and no. 24 on the Hillhead Road in the townland of Bruslee.
Map 4. Townland of Bruslee
The County Grand Jury Presentment Books of the Lower Half of the Barony of Belfast record a payment of £34 2 shillings 6 pence made to Frances Shaw, Esq., and John Ferguson, for repairing 100 perches of road from Ballyclare to Belfast between Samuel Mulligan’s meadow and John Boyd’s House in summer assize in 1786. This stretch of road lay a long the Hillhead Road, which runs from Ballyclare to the junction at A8 to Belfast. In the Rental of 1802, it refers to James Millikin & Co., but it does not state the name of his partner(s), who appears to have been “Samuel Mulligan” of Bruslee. When the lease expired in 1805, only part of the lease was renewed. On March 5, 1806, the Marquess of Donegall, George Chichester, issued a lease for 61 years to “Samuel Milliken” of Bruslee for 3 acres 3 roads 7 perches of land in Bruslee with a rental value of 16 shillings 4 pence, which in Map 4 equates with plot no. 23. The rest of the farm was leased the same day by the Marquess to William Ferguson of Bruslee and amounted to 8 acres 1 rood 36 perches with a rental value of £1 18 shillings 6 pence.
The other part of the townland of Ballygallagh was held by Francis Shaw of Carrickfergus, Esq., who had obtained a lease of Ballygallagh from the Marquess of Donegall on March 20, 1793. Later that year, Francis Shaw posted the following advertisement in the Belfast News Letter re-
To be let, from the first November last, for twenty one years, and one life, the following farms in the townland of Ballygallagh, now in the possession of the under named tenants, viz. David Craig, Robert Gilliland, Nathaniel Lawther, William Crymble, James Milliken, Robert Wilson, Hugh Clugston, and Thomas Wallace; together with the house and farm, and the field called the Horse Park, formerly occupied by David Boyd, Esq. Proposal (post paid) will be received by Francis Shaw, Esq. until the first day of January next when the tenants will be declared. Carrickfergus, 4th December 1793.
The biographical notes relating to James Millikin of Ballygallagh are detailed more fully under the section headed Millikins of Ballyboley. Interestingly, we find mention of a John Millikin in an article published in the Belfast News Letter in 1791. This article was published at a time when the Ballyclare linen market was buoyant. In 1832, the surveyor of the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for the district could remark, that ‘until about 40 years ago, Ballyclare possessed a good linen market’9.
At a Meeting of the Manufactures of Brown Linen who attend the principal Yarn Markets of the County of Antrim, held at Ballyclare on September 21, 1791, it was unanimously resolved:
I. That we will support the County inspector in the execution of their office as far as our
abilities will allow.
II. That we will not buy, nor cause to be bought for us, any Yarn in any markets or fairs we
attend, before the hour of eight o’clock in the morning.
III. That we have so long felt the inconvenience and seen the impropriety of buying Yarn before eight o’clock, that we
engage to pay our just proportion of One Guinea to any person who inform on and prosecute to conviction, any
offender against the above legal reformation.
IV. The Country People, and such as bring Yarn for sale to the Markets and Fairs, are hereby acquainted, that they
need not expect their Yarn to be bought before said hour; and the Sellers of Yarn are further to take notice, that all
Yarn sold before eight o’clock is forfeited by law.”
This document was signed by the following linen manufacturers.
Wm. Gore Robert Gilliland Wm. Wiley
Wm. Neil John Alexander John Millikin
Wm. Galt James Wilson Wm. Boyd
Anthony Hunter Robert Lennon C. Patterson
James Jamison Wm. Gardner Sam. Thompson
Hugh Wiley Paul Douglas David Ferguson
Robert Kirkwood Hugh McQuiston Wm. Craig
W. McCammon John McCrumb John Buchannan
Sam. MacKay Wm. Clugston Thomas Dallars
Hugh Cameron Alex. McNeilly Alex. Hay
John Scott James Renfew
This John Millikin seems to be the same John Millikin of Ballyclare, whose daughter Sarah married James McQuitty of Ballyclare in 1838: they were married at Ballynure Presbyterian Church. According to her marriage entry, Sarah’s mother was called Clementine. Both James and John appear to have been contemporaries of William, son of the first Samuel Millikin said to have settled in Ballyclare. The identity of William, father of Samuel (1789-
Samuel Millikin (1789-
Samuel Milliken (of Ballyclare) No. 105 on list.
Jane Milliken (of Bruslee) Mo. 150 on list.
William Milliken (of Lisnalinchy) No. 159 on list10.
Samuel became a post master and finally a shopkeeper by the time of his wife’s death in 1876. His farm, believed to be at Ballygallagh comprised approximately 8 acres 3 roods 40 perches of land and was leased from the John Wilson. In 1862, Samuel’s son, James, held the property, whilst Samuel occupied a house located on the Doagh road in Ballyclare. Samuel died on 22nd February 1871 at the age of 82 years and is buried with his wife, Catherine Beggs, at the Old Ballylinney Graveyard, where a headstone stands erected to their memory. According to their headstone, Catherine died on 21st March 1876 aged 84 years, whilst the Registrar’s entry gives 20th June 1876 aged 85 years. Similarly, Samuel’s headstone gives a different date; 25th February 1871 aged 83 years. I have followed the Registrar’s entries rather than the headstone inscription.
They appear to have had at least five children:
1. Margaret Millikin eldest daughter of Samuel, m. William Millikin of Doagh on Dec. 18, 1841 at Ballylinney Presbyterian Church (PC).
2. John Millikin b. about 1818. He was employed as a master shoemaker and for many years owned a shoe shop on
the Main Street in Ballyclare. According to his marriage entries, he was the son of Samuel Millikin, farmer. He married
first Mary Miskimmon, thought to have been the daughter of James Miskimmon of Ballygallagh, and secondly Jane
Todd of Ballyclare, daughter of Thomas Todd, weaver, at Kilbride Church of Ireland on 17 March, 1858. She died
Feb. 10, 1895 aged 55 years. John died May 17, 1906 aged 88 years.
By First wife Mary Miskimmon:
1. James Millikin b. Jan. 17, 1839.
2. Jannet Millikin b. Mar. 13, and bapt. Feb. 27, 1842.
3. Samuel Millikin b. Oct. 13, and bapt. Nov. 26, 1843.
4. Agnes Millikin b. Feb. 14, and bapt. Mar. 29, 1846.
5. Ellen Millikin b. Mar. 23, and bapt. May 7, 1848.
6. Catherine Millikin b. June 20, and bapt. Sept. 1, 1850.
7. Eliza Jane Millikin b. Sept. 21, and bapt. Nov. 7, 1852.
8. Eliza Jane Millikin b. Jan. 8, and bapt. Apr. 1, 1855.
By Second wife Jane Todd:
1. William Millikin b. about 1863, living in Ballyclare in 1906.
2. Thomas Millikin b. July 8, 1865.
3. Margaret Millikin b. June 3, 1867, d. Dec. 28, 1869 aged 2 years.
4. Robert Millikin b. about 1870, d. Dec. 4, 1874 aged 4 years.
5. Margaret Millikin b. Dec. 20, 1872, m. James Moore of Ballyclare on 30 July 1896.
6. Mary Millikin b. April 2, 1875.
7. Robert Millikin b. Mar. 7, 1878.
8. Joseph Millikin b. May 12, 1881.
3. Jannet Millikin m. Thomas McKinley of Doagh, a flax dripper and son of David McKinley, mill manager, on July 4,
1849, at Ballylinney P. C. The McKinleys later emigrated to North America.
4. James Millikin b. 1826, m. Mary Ann Cameron daughter of Robert Cameron of Ballyclare, on Mar. 11, 1852 at
Ballyclare Old Presbyterian Church. He is described in various documents as either being a car driver or postmaster.
He died June 25, 1891 aged 65 years; she died Dec. 21, 1915 aged 91 years. Both were buried in Old Ballylinny
1. Robert Millikin b. Dec. 3, 1854 in Ballyclare. He is described as a coal merchant. He married first Mary Agnes Black
on Feb. 26, 1881, and secondly in Hurstville, Australia, Elizabeth Corr on Dec. 6, 1893. His first wife died on died Nov. 1, 1891. He had Mary, James, William, and Christine by his first wife and Robert, Samuel and Alice by his second wife.
2. Mary Millikin b. Dec. 22, 1856 and bap. Jan. 18, 1858 in Ballyclare.
3. Catherine Millikin b. Jan. 22, 1859 and bap. Mar. 6, 1859.
4. Elizabeth Millikin b. 1862 in Ballyclare, died Jan. 1920 aged 58 years.
5. Samuel Millikin b. 1864 in Ballyclare, m. Hessie Gilmour Smyth and had several children. He died May 25, 1926
aged 62 years; his spouse died Jan. 7, 1943 aged 76 years.
6. Jane Millikin b. Feb. 23, 1866 in Ballyclare.
7. Unnamed daughter b. Jan. 1, 1868 in Ballyclare.
8. James Millikin b. Feb. 24, 1870 in Ballyclare, moved to Belfast where he worked in a Bank.
5. Catherine Millikin b. 1830, m. James Boyd of Largy, a blacksmith and son of Thomas Boyd, blacksmith on May 30,
1849 at Ballylinney P. C. Catherine and James Boyd later emigrated to North America.
6. William Millikin b. 1833, m. Jane Coutler of Ballyclare, the daughter of William Coulter, farmer, Aug. 14, 1873 at
Ballylinney P. C. William is described as being a carman at the time of his marriage, but later as [coal] merchant.
He died Aug. 30, 1897 aged 64 years, and followed by his wife who died Oct. 22, 1897 aged 62 years.
In his book, Ballyclare Presbyterian Church: A Story of 125 years, Robert Grange notes that James and William Millikin were both prominent figures in Ballyclare and among the first to succeed from the Old Presbyterian Church (Non-
The Millikins of Lisnalinchy
William Millikin (1763-
At the formation of Ballylinney Presbyterian Church in 1836, William transferred to this Congregation and remained a member until his death in 1841. He was one of the original men who arranged to bring the sand used for the building the New Meetinghouse from Doagh in 1834 and is the same man paid £4. 3. 4. for repairing the 50 perchs of road from Belfast to Ballymena, between Doagh and the King' Bog in the townland of Ballyearl in 1839 . William died on 19th October 1841 at the age of 78 years, giving him an approximate birth date of 1763. His will, destroyed in 1922, was made probate in 1842. By his marriage to Janet Campbell, he had at least six children:
1. Dorothy Millikin bapt. May 9, 1796 at Carnmoney P.C.; married April 1831 at her father’s residence, John Love of
Ballycor in the parish of Ballyeaston, and by this marriage had at least:
1. William Love bapt. 01.07.1832.
2. Margaret Love bapt. 31.08.1835.
2. Female child bapt. March 4, 1797 at Carnmoney P. C. In the register, her name is left blank. It isn’t clear whom this
daughter may have been, assuming of course she lived to adulthood.
3. Hannah Millikin bapt. August 3, 1800; married John Hunter of Whitepark on February 16, 1833 at First Donegore
Presbyterian Church, and by this marriage had at least:
1. Mary Hunter, b at Ballycor, bapt. on 11.01.1834.
2. Samuel Hunter b. at Ballycor, bapt. on 01.02.1836.
3. Margaret Ann Hunter b. Ballycor, bapt. on 28.04.1838.
4. James Hunter b. Doagh, bapt. on 11.05.1840.
5. Hannah Hunter b. Doagh, bapt. on 27.03.1842.
6. Jane Hunter b. Doagh, bapt. on 08.03.1845.
4. John Millikin bapt. on September 26, 1802. He may be the same John Milliken styled of the Liberties of Carrickfergus
in his sister, Hannah’s marriage entry of 1833.
5. Jean Millikin born c.1803, married on Friday April 19, 1822 to John McNeill of Kenbally near Broughshane. She died
on August 9, 1884 aged 80 years. She had the following children:
1. William McNeill, born 1824
2. John McNeill born 1826
3. Archibald McNeill born 1829.
4. Arthur McNeill born 1831.
5. Robert McNeill born 1833.
6. Campbell McNeill born 1835.
7. Margaret McNeill born 1838.
8. James McNeill born 1840.
6. Robert Millikin bapt. on August 11, 1805. [Family details still to be completed].
The Millikins of Bruslee
Samuel Milliken (1777-
Millikin to Ferguson
A Memorial of Indenture and Assignment dated 9th August 1817, between Samuel Millikin of Bruslee in the parish of Ballylinney farmer and William Ferguson of Bruslee farmer reciting that Samuel Millikin for and in consideration of the sum of £220 did grant unto the said William Ferguson a portion of land containing 3 acres 3 roods and 7 perches in the townland of Bruslee. To hold during the residue term of 61 years commencing and to be computed from 1st Nov 1805 subject to the yearly rent of 16 shillings. The deed was witnessed by John McClenaghan weaver and John Dundee farmers both of Bruslee. The said Memorial was witnessed by John Dundee and Philip Maquire of Belfast, register 29th August 1817.
Wilson to Millikin
A Memorial of Indented Deed of Conveyance bearing the date 15th August 1817 reciting that John Wilson of Ballyboley in the parish of Ballycor farmer in consideration of £90 paid to him in hand by Samuel Milliken of Bruslee in the parish of Ballylinney farmer and thereby sold, alienated, assigned and transferred to the said Samuel Milliken as then in his actual possession by virtue of a lease of a year therein from the said John Wilson. And the Samuel Milliken took possession of All that piece and parcel of land containing 9 acres three roods 18 perches bound on the north by Ballyboley Mountain on the south by Samuel Hills premises on the east by John Wilson’s holdings on the west by premises in possession of Thomas Wilson. And which said lands and premises the said John Wilson together with that piece of grazing below the road bound on the south by Samuel Heverans premises on the east by Samuel Hills and on the west by Thomas Wilson and also the hay of the a Cairn field adjoining the said premises together with grazing on the Ballyboley Mountain at the option of the said Samuel Millikin with building etc. He can build and erect on the said premise or any part thereof but reserving to Thomas Wilson a road fourteen feet wide along a ditch passing through the Stack yard Park or low field. Samuel is to hold the said land for and during the nature lives of His Royal Highness George Prince Regent, Frederick Bishop of Onsaburgh and Prince William Henry, first, second and third sons of his Majesty King George the Third. Witnessed by Francis McLaughlin, clerk, and Samuel Robert Griffith both of Belfast. Signed by John Wilson.
Samuel Millikin was still in possession of his farm at Bruslee in 1826, when the Carnmoney Tithe Applotment shows he occupied a smallholding of 9 acres 2 roods 25 perches. At the taking of Griffith’s valuation in 1862, Samuel’s son, “William Milliken”, was in possession of the farm, leased from the Marquis of Donegal, though, he had evidently died or given the farm up by 1869, when his younger brother, John Milliken, was occupier. Samuel died in 1851 aged 74 years and was buried at the Old Ballylinney Graveyard</a> where a headstone stands erected to his memory by his daughter Jannet Milliken. His wife Jane died on 3rd April 1868 aged 83 years, giving her an approximate birth date of 1785. Only the names of five of their children are known, though, there were probably others:
1. Jannet Milliken b. about 1796, d. Jan. 26, 1880 at Bruslee, a spinster, aged 84 years. She erected a headstone to the
memory of her parents, brother William, his wife (unnamed) and family in Old Ballylinney Graveyard.
2. William Milliken b. about 1800 inherited his father’s farm in Bruslee and is listed in Griffith’s valuation of 1862; his farm
consisted of 9 acres, 2 roods, 25 perches. He married Margaret Thompson, daughter of James & Sarah Thompson of
Ballynure, on 24th May 1842 at Ballynure Presbyterian Church. Both he and his wife were buried in Old Ballylinney Graveyard.
They had one known child:
1. John Milliken born January 23, 1846 at Carntall.
3. John Milliken b. about 1807, d. Dec. 29, 1886 at Bruslee. He lived at Ballycor for a time and after his brother’s death took over the Bruslee farm. His wife’s name is unknown.
1. Samuel Milliken bapt. Sept. 12, 1830, at Second Ballyeaston P.C., nothing more known.
2. William Milliken bapt. Nov. 11, 1832, at Second Ballyeaston P.C.; died at Doagh a widower, on May 20, 1870, aged 34
years (age appears wrong); death witnessed by his sister Eliza Milliken of Bruslee.
3. Elizabeth (Eliza) Milliken bapt. April 17, 1834; died May 18, 1910, a spinster, aged 73 years.
4. James Stewart Milliken bapt. June 24, 1838; nothing more known.
5. John Milliken b. about 1848 in Bruslee, m. Janet Simms of Bruslee, daughter of James Simms, weaver, at Ballylinney
P.C. on July 2, 1869. He d. Feb. 13, 1924 aged 76 years in Bruslee. Janet died Nov. 30 1935 at 87 years (age given
seems wrong). They had the following:
a) James Milliken b. Jan. 1, in Bruslee, and bapt. Feb. 2, 1870.
b) John Milliken b. May 10, 1871 in Grahamstown, a mill worker in 1896, m. Isabel Arthur of Lee Ballyclare, daughter
of James Arthur, labourer, at Ballylinney P.C. on 31 July 1896.
c) Ellen Milliken b. Feb. 19, in Grahamstown, and bapt. Apr. 6, 1873.
d) William Milliken b. June 9, 1875 in Bruslee, and bapt. July 25 1875.
e) Sarah Milliken Jane b. June 22, in Bruslee, and bapt. July 28, 1878.
Agnes Milliken b. Mar. 20, in Bruslee, and bapt. May 15, 1881; d. Feb. 7, 1896 aged 14 years in Bruslee.
f) Mary Ann Milliken b. Jan. 26, in Bruslee, and bapt. Mar. 4, 1883.
g) Margaret Milliken b. Oct. 6, 1884, in Bruslee.
h) Thomas Lorimer Milliken b. July 24, 1886 in Bruslee.
I)Samuel Milliken b. June 29, in Bruslee, and bapt. Aug. 8, 1888.
Elizabeth Milliken b. Aug. 8, 1891 in Bruslee.
6. Sarah Jane Milliken b. about 1849 in Bruslee. Is styled “needle woman” at the time of her death on April 17, 1868 at
the age 19 years.
7. Eliza Milliken b. 1810, died May 6, 1866 aged 56 years, a spinster, in Bruslee. Her brother John Milliken was the
1. Muster Roll of the Province of Ulster c.1630-
2. Charlton, S. T.: Heads and Hearths: Hearth Money Rolls for County Antrim 1666-
3. Carnmoney Presbyterian Church (PRONI Mic. 1P/37; T.1013) .
4. Anjou, Gustav: Genealogy of the Bodine Family of Philadelphia (compiled 1906-
5. Connor Will Index held at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.
6. Fasti of the Irish Presbyterian Church 1613-
7. Ridlon, G. T.: History of the Families Millingas and Millanges, comprising Genealogies and Biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin (1907), p. 806.
8. Public Record Office of Northern Ireland: Ref. T..808/15307.
9. Day. A. & McWilliams. P.: Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Parishes of County Antrim (Antrim town and Ballyclare), Vol. 29, p.65.
10. Sherrand, Stanley: Ballylinney Presbyterian Church, A Story of 150 Years, p. 16-
11. Grange, Robert T.: Ballyclare Presbyterian Church, A Story of 125 Years, p. 26.
12. Armstrong, Robert: Through the Ages to Newtownabbey, p. 150.