Millican, Milligan, Millikan, Milliken, Millikin, Mullican, Mulliken, Mullikin etc



This old Ulster-Scots family is first mentioned in the Manor Newtown rent roll of 1712-16, which belonged to Robert Colville, grandson of the renowned Sir Robert Colville of Newtown, now called Newtownards in County Down, Northern Ireland(1).  Two references appear in this rent roll, the first ‘Jas Milikin’ paid rent for land in the townland of Upper Ballyskeagh, covering the years 1712, 1713 and 1714.  The second styled ‘Jas Milikin’s Widow’, paid rent for land in the townland of Drumkirk, covering the years 1712, 1713, 1714, 1715 and 1716.  It is difficult to determine if James Milliken of Upper Ballyskeagh is the same James Milliken whose widow rented £3 worth of land in Drumkirk along with Widow Montgomery.  If one and the same, it would appear James had already died by 1712.  This explanation is doubtful, as it does not explain the regular half yearly payments made by James between 1712 and 1714.  It seems more likely we are dealing with two Millikens called James.  I am told by a family member, who lived on the old farm at Ballyskeagh (see map for Ballyskeagh House) that a stone lintel dated 1712 once crossed the doorway of a now demolished out-house, thought to be the original farmhouse built by the Millikens.

In 1693, Sir Robert Colville of Newtown leased the entire townland of Upper Ballyskeagh to John Kennedy, a yeoman of the same townland, for 41 years(2).  In the 1712-16 rent rolls, James Milliken was a subtenant of John Kennedy, a relation of Dr. Hugh Kennedy, a successful physician of Belfast and Presbyterian of Scots origin from Ayrshire(3).  Beside James Milliken, Kennedy also sublet farmland to David Dalziel, John Simpson, David Thompson, Andrew Glendinning, and John McCreevy.  Following Kennedy's death c.1731, Robert Colville sub-divided the entire townland between its resident farmers.  By an Indenture of lease, dated 25 October 1732, Margaret Milliken, widow, was granted a lease to run for three lives and named herself, ‘James Miliken’ aged about eleven years and ‘Joseph Miliken’ aged about seven years “two of the sons of Margaret”, as livees.    She was granted 13 acres, 1 rood, 13 perches of land at a yearly rent of £3 7s 11d in Upper Ballyskeagh, which was then in the possession of the said “Margaret Miliken” but lately in the possession of John Kennedy, deceased(4).

Margaret Milliken’s original lease can be viewed at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast and is listed amongst the estate papers belonging to the Stewarts, better known as the Londonderry Family and which, have been used extensively in compiling this family history.  Although, Margaret's lease only records the names of two of her sons, James and Joseph, it is evident she had other sons and daughters, one of whom was called Hugh.  It is interesting to note that Margaret is style “Margaret Miliken otherwise Young”.  In other words, her maiden surname was Young.  Margaret was related to James Young, a merchant in Belfast and his wife Jane Milliken.  On 16 October, 1728, James Young and his wife “Jane Young alias Milliken” sold all the townland of Fish Quarter in the parish of Inishargy in the Ards Peninsula together with the parsonage and rectoral lands to the Rev. Samuel Hutcheson of Ballygraffan for the sum of £500(5).  James Young was the son of the prominent Belfast merchant, John Young, who married Mary Hutcheson, daughter of the Rev. Alexander Hutcheson(6), who are known only to have had two daughters, Jane and Abigail Young.  Respectively, Jane married Gilbert McTeer and Abigail married Robert Milliken, merchants of Belfast. With two Milliken-Young marriages on record, it seems very likely that Margaret was a close relation of James Young of Belfast.


The next series of rentals are date 1740 and 1744, by which time, Robert Colville sold his entire estate to Alexander Stewart of Ballylawn, near Moville in County Donegal.  Margaret Milliken’s name appears in both rentals together with “Hugh Milliken” - not to be confused with Margaret’s son Hugh - the ancestor of the Millikens of Tullynagardy.  According to these rentals, Hugh was assigned a leasehold of 26 acres 2 roods 27 perches of land in Upper Ballyskeagh acquired from Robert Bell of Newtownards between 1732 and 1740.  Margaret and Hugh’s leases are dated from “All Saints 1732” and were to run for three lives.  We also learn that in 1732 Colville sub-divided the entire townland of Ballyskeagh between 15 tenants, a ploy designed to increase the value of his rents.  It is interesting to note that in 1712, the entire townland was valued at £35 12s, half its value in 1740, when it yielded an annual income of £78.  Whilst the 1740 rental lists the names of some relatively new tenants, such as, David Williamson, William Osborn, John Ritchie and John Galloway, the old families of 1712 are still represented, e.g. Hugh Kennedy, Alexander Simpson, John and Ann Simpson, Jannet Thompson, Alexander Glendinning and John McCreevy(7).

I believe Margaret Young was the widow of James Milliken first mentioned in 1712, who probably died sometime between 1725 and 1732. He was probably born in the 1680s and might have been the son of the late of James Milliken of Drumkirk.  It is significant that by 1740, there is no mention of the widows Milliken or Montgomery in Drumkirk.  It seems very likely that James Milliken and Margaret Young settled in Upper Ballyskeagh under John Kennedy of Ballyskeagh. Their descendants still occupy the same farm today, almost 300 years later.   In that time, three dwelling houses have been built on the farm, the first reputedly dated from 1712.  The location of the first farm house is depicted on the map above, which in 1790, was occupied by David Mulligan, Margaret's grandson.  Sometime in the 1820s, David Milliken, son of David Mulligan, built the second farm house the foundations of which are still visible. The third, called Ballyskeagh House was built by George Milligan in the 1960s.  From an early date, this branch of the family appear to have been craftsmen and publicans, a trade ever in great demand even in a Presbyterian stronghold such as Newtownards.  Like most farmers of their day and time, farming was a secondary source of employment.

Early Traditions and Colonial Settlers

According to family tradition, Hugh Milliken was descended from one of five brothers who removed from Scotland to Ireland during the wars between the "Scotch and English", three of whom settled on the river Bann and two at Ballyskeagh.  Taken at face value, it seems reasonable to assume that Hugh and Margaret’s husband were either brothers or the sons of two brothers.  The source of this tradition, Robert Hugh Milliken of Baltimore in Maryland, Hugh’s great grandson, also claimed the father of these five brothers was knighted on the battlefield by the Black Prince(8). Clearly, this part of the tradition requires some qualification in order to weed out the apparent discrepancies, whilst drawing out those elements that are historically factual.  It is interesting to note the use of the word “Scotch”, a term often used as an alternative to Scottish or Scots, which today is now regarded as old-fashioned by many Scottish people.  The specific reference to the wars between the Scots and English narrows the time frame to that period in British history also referred to the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, that is, the wars between Scotland, England and Ireland which began in 1639 and lasted nearly 20 years(9).

Remarkably, a reference to the names of five brothers dating from this very period in Ulster’s colonial history exists and appears in the last will and testament of “Robert Millikine” of Belfast.  In his will, Robert names his four brothers, Roger, James (described as the elder), Gilbert and John, and sister Elizabeth Millikin.  Probate was granted to his brother “Roger Mulligan” in 1643.  Four of the brothers, “Robert, Gilbert, James and John Mulligan”, appear in the 1642 muster roll of Col. Arthur Hillof Malone, near Belfast, whilst their brother “Roger Mulligan" and a "Hugh Mulligan” are listed in the company of Capt. Edward Matthews and regiment of Col Arthur Chichester of Belfast(10).  It is believed Robert married Janet Stewart, sister of John Stewart of Ballydrain House in Upper Malone, now a suburb of Belfast.  His brother, Roger, married the sister of Gilbert Matthews of Dunmurray, where Roger’s widow was living in 1669.  Of James, Gilbert, John and Hugh Millikin research to date has produced few definite connections only speculation.

James Mulligan, junior, of Tullyconnaught near Banbridge, County Down, is said to have been the grandson of Robert Millikin of Belfast(11).   In the Genealogical Noteson the Mulligans of Banbridge, a manuscript preserved at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, the following account of the family’s origins in Ulster is recounted(12).  It narrates, that “two brothers of the name of Millikin during the inter-racial broils of Scotland emigrated to Ireland and landed at Bangor, Co. Down, one brother moved into the Ards and the other directed his course towards Belfast and settled in that neighbourhood and after sometime married the sister of then Stewarts of Ballydrain, and at the 1641 wars of Ireland was one of those that defended Ballydrain House” against the Irish Confederates.  This tradition only refers to two brothers and not five.   Yet, we know from Robert Millikin’s last will and testament, he had four brothers.  Doubtlessly, two brothers did indeed cross over into Ulster prior to the outbreak of the Irish Rebellion, and one, Robert, married Janet Stewart of Ballydrain.  The other three brothers might well have crossed into Ulster in the weeks following the outbreak of the rebellion, when a number of Scottish soldiers were sent to defend the colony.

There are two more important County Down traditions, which bear a striking resemblance to the Ballyskeagh and Banbridge traditions.  The first was handed down by James Milliken (1788-1874) of Ravara near Saintfield in County Down.  His son, Matthew Henry Milliken, emigrated to Baltimore in Maryland at the turn of twentieth century and settled not far from his distant cousin Robert Hugh Milliken.   In the Ravara tradition, Matthew narrates that “two of three brothers went from the Lowlands of Scotland into Ulster, Ireland, during the religious persecution, settled there and raised families”.  He goes on to say of the two brothers, “they were Presbyterians of genuine Covenanting stock” and believed “the two brothers of this family who came from Scotland to Ulster were named Robert and James” and both were refugees(13).   Matthew also comments that “one James Milliken (1796-1870) of Ballyskeagh (Robert Hugh’s father) once visited James of Ravara, and by comparing notes they decided that they represented, as descendants, the two brothers”.   Here again, we find reference to two brothers, identified as Robert and James, crossing over into Ulster and a third unnamed brother, who remained in Scotland.

It is worth remarking that for a time Matthew Milliken lived in Mill Street, Newtownards, where he was a music teacher in the 1880s.  His wife, Mary Jane Robinson of Ballycloughan near Saintfield, was the cousin of Sir James Porter Corry, M.P. for East Belfast, created a baronet in 1885.  He was the son of Robert Corry of Ballyalton House, near Newtownards, and Jane Porter, youngest daughter of James Porter Esq. of Ballyrussll.   Robert Corry was a timber merchant and founder of James P. Corry & Co., in Belfast(14).  He was born at Concord Farm in the townland of Tullynagardy near Newtownards on 14th November 1800, and was one of eight children born to John Corry and Susannah White of Tullynagardy(15).  This John was the son of Robert Corry and Mary Porter of Tullynagardy and the great great great grandson of John Corrie provost of Dumfries in 1638.  In 1815, the aforementioned James Milliken (1796-1870) of Ballyskeagh married a daughter of John Corry of Tullynagardy, called Mary, and through this marriage, James Milliken came to possess Concord Farm, which is still occupied his descendants to this day.

The second tradition is preserved in the Biographical Notes of the Rev. Gideon T. Ridlon and relates to Samuel Milliken (1746-1804) a native of the district of Dromore who emigrated to North America in 1768 and settled in Kishacoquillas Valley in Pennsylvania.  He was the son of James Milliken a tenant farmer who lived near the town of Dromore.  Family tradition asserts that James and his brother, Hugh, were the sons of “Robert John Milliken said to have been an uncle of James Milliken Esq., first of the Milliken barony, Renfrewshire, Scotland, and a native of Ayrshire and a scion of an old and respectable family of agricultural pursuits, who early established themselves on the southern border of Caledonia.  In consequence of religious persecution he (Robert), with others of the name, when a young man removed to the north of Ireland and sat down not distant from Dromore, in the County of Down”(16).  Robert could not have been an uncle of Major James Milliken (1669-1741), first of the Milliken barony in Scotland; he was probably a near relation, as both men would have been contemporaries.

If we are to believe the Dromore tradition, Robert John Milliken was a native of Ayrshire, who sought refuge in Ulster probably during the religious persecution of 1681-85 known as the ‘killing times’.  He could also have fled Scotland, either, immediately after the Pentland Uprising in 1666 or the battle of Bothwell Bridge in 1679.  Whatever, this tradition points to Robert moving into Ulster a generation or so after Robert Millikin of Belfast, who died in 1643.   In the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland there are references to another Robert Millikin, who lived at Lisburn in 1646.   This man was definitely related to Major James Milliken of Milliken and might well have been an uncle.  Robert had a son called James Millikin (1646-1718), a Quaker, who lived in the townland of Moyallen near Tullyish in County Down(17).   He was the father of John and Robert Millikin, linen drapers of Moyallen.  The latter was the father of Robert Millikin of Castlemartyr near Cork, and grandfather of the celebrated Irish poet, Richard Millikin of Cork, author of “The Groves of Blarney”.   I am fairly sure part of the Dromore tradition refers to another Robert, who lived a generation earlier than that of Robert John Milliken.  It is very unusual to find a double barrel Christian name, like Robert John, as early as the 1600s, suggesting this name might well allude to either Robert Millikin of Lisburn or perhaps, even Robert Millikin of Belfast, who is known to have leased land near Dromore.

From whom then did Hugh Milliken of Ballyskeagh descend?  As already noted the wars between the Scots and English began in 1639 and lasted nearly 20 years.  It is my belief that the father of the five Milliken brothers settled in Ulster sometime between 1639 and 1645.  In 1640, the Scots, under the command of General Alexander Leslie lead a large army into England against the royalist forces of Charles I (1625-49), and defeated his English army at Newburn near Newcastle.  The next major incursion took place in 1644, when General Leslie again led an army comprising some 20, 000 men into England and again defeated Charles I and his royalist forces at the battle of Marston Moor in July of that year.   Significantly, the same year saw a modest expeditionary force of some 2.000 Irish Confederates invade Scotland under the command of Alasdair MacColla.  He joined forces with the Earl Montrose, who could only muster a small band of Scottish followers.  Once in Scotland, they moved across the Highlands east to Aberdeen, and from there, south through Perth, waging a campaign of warfare with little resistance.  With so many soldiers in England and in Ireland, where a Scottish Covenanting force of some 10, 000 men were stationed in Ulster, MacColla and Montrose had almost free reign to inflict acts of atrocity.  Only after the Scottish army returned in 1645, were MacColla and Montrose’s men defeated at the battle of Philiphaugh near Selkirk.

In the muster roll of the earl of Eglinton’s regiment, the names of four Millikins appear, Robert, James, Roger and Alexander Millikin, who where mustered from Ayrshire in Scotland. All four men are listed together in the company of Capt George Boyd and where billeted in and around Bangor.  After years of research, I have come to the view that we are dealing with more than one set of five brothers.  We know from the muster rolls of Hugh Montgomery, viscount of Ards, and kinsman to the earl of Eglinton, several other Millikins were already living on Montgomery’s estate.  These rolls list the names of Quintin Millikin, a corporal, and John Millikin, trooper, in the troop of horse lead by Capt. Hugh Montgomery, and John Mullikin, a soldier, in the company of Capt. Samuel Agnew.  In the regimental muster rolls of Col. Sir James Montgomery, knight, we find record of John Milligan, James Mulligan, Joseph Mulligan, Thomas Mulligan and Patrick Millikin(18).  It is almost certain Quintin Millikin was the father of Robert Millikin of Ballyholm near Bangor, and that this family came from the district of Carsphairn in Galloway, Scotland, where the personal name Quintin was used amongst the Mullikins aka Amuliganes of Holm of Dalquhairn. I am inclined to think Hugh descended from James Milliken, whose name is mentioned in the Ravara tradition, and was probably one of the brothers of Robert Milliken of Belfast.  It is more than probable, this James, and another brother, first settled in the district of Newtownards at Ballyskeagh. There is another townland called Ballyskeagh, located south of Belfast.  However, there is no evidence to suggest an early link with this townland.

The question will be asked, who was the father of the five Milliken brothers said to be have been knighted on the battlefield by the Black Prince?  We can be fairly certain that this part of the tradition has factual inaccuracies and that it needs some explanation in order to clarify the historical context in which this man emerges.  The story of the knight to some extent echoes another tradition preserved in the Biographical Notes of the Rev. Ridlon on Hugh Milliken of Boston(19).  It is assumed that this man was a “titled gentleman” from the fact that a coat of arms was early found by some of his descendants.  It is claimed that this coat of arms, which depicted three castles in a blue shield, was granted to a Sir Hugh Milliken.  The tradition asserts that this man came from Scotland and was knighted for his gallant service in the taking of a strongly fortified castle or castles.  The author of this claim, Capt. Isaac T. Milliken of San Francisco, California, a master mariner, had reputedly commissioned a search in Scotland and found records that resulted in the discovery of the name of a Sir Hugh Milliken.  In his notes, the Rev. Ridlon rightly challenges this claim, and states unequivocally that when Capt. Milliken assumes that Hugh of Boston was identical with the brave knight he is in error.

In Scotland, the chief authority on matters relating to heraldry rests with the Lord Lyon and his staff at the Lyon Office in Edinburgh. After nearly 100 years, the Rev. Ridlon’s comment on Capt. Isaac Milliken’s claims remains the same.  There is only one Milliken coat of arms, matriculated in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland, which was granted to Major James Milliken of Milliken in 1741 and is depicted with three demi-lions, issuing out of two bars waved, two in the uppermost and one out of the undermost. The Major’s coats of arms are identical to the Mullikine coat of arms found in the Workman Manuscript of 1566. There was only one Mullikine family in Scotland capable of bearing Arms, and they can be traced to Fergus Amuligane aka Mullikine of Blackmyre in Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire.  He first appears on record as the laird of Blackmyre in 1492.  His son, John, might well be the original grantee of the Mullikine coat of arms, as he held his lands of Holm of Dalquhairn and Crogo in 1524, directly from the King in return for knight service.

It is possible, however, Gilbert Amuligane, probably Fergus’s father, could have been the original grantee, as he is styled keeper of the king’s unbroken horses in 1456, that is, he was keeper to James II, king of Scotland.  Interestingly, Gilbert Amuligane became the king’s keeper about the time King James besieged Threave Castle in Galloway.  This castle was the chief stronghold of the Earls of Galloway, also called the Black Douglases to distinguish them from another branch of this family.  In 1455, King James laid siege to Threave Castle, and drove the last of the Black Douglas Earls into exile.   This might well explain the tradition that the ancestor of the Millikens of Boston distinguished himself in the taking of some castle.  Most certainly, there never was a knight called Sir Hugh Milliken, and as recent research has shown, Hugh Milliken of Boston was a blacksmith(20).  It is equally true that the father of the five Milliken brothers was certainly not a knight.  This said, it is evident that both the Boston and Ballyskeagh traditions point to a common ancestor who once held the status of knight-service.

A claim is made in the Ballyskeagh tradition that the Black Prince knighted the father of the five Milliken brothers.  The Rev. Ridlon wrongly inserted the dated of 1343 as a point of reference. The Black Prince is taken to be Prince Edward (1330-1376), son of Edward III, king of England.  He was dubbed the Black Prince probably because of the colour of his armour. Could there be a hint here to a much older tradition dating back to Macrath ap Molegan, who had his lands in the sheriffdom of Dumfries restored to him in 1296 by King Edward I of England, better known as Longshanks to the Scots?  It is an intriguing thought, but one that will probably never be proved. The more likely explanation points to the lairds of Blackmyre and the Mullikine ancestor who gained knight status, either in feudal service to the crown or the Black Douglases. In my own family tradition, my first Milliken ancestor at Ballyskeagh is said to have come from Ayrshire, and I suspect he probably descended from a family who either lived at Heateth or Auchmillan near the little town of Mauchline.  These families were directly descended from the same lineage as the Amuliganes aka Mullikines of Blackmyre.


James MILLIKEN alias MULLIGAN, born about 1720 at Ballyskeagh, was the eldest son of Margaret Milliken nee YOUNG OF Ballyskeagh.  He is first mentioned as a 'livee' in his mother's 1732 lease. Next, he appears in partnership with his bother.

Hugh MILLIKEN alias MULLIGAN was born in 1722 at Ballyskeagh and the second son of Margaret Milliken nee YOUNG of Ballyskeagh.  Hugh and his brother James Milliken farmed their mother’s land in Ballyskeagh all their days.  Hugh had known son, David Milliken, but no doubt had other children whose names have not been recorded.  Hugh styled Hugh Mulligan late of Ballyskeagh departed this life on July 24th 1783, aged 61 years.  A slate headstone stands erected to his memory in Moville Cemetery, Newtownards, next the old Abbey.  

David MILLIKEN was born in 1754 at the old farmstead in Ballyskeagh and is styled David MULLIGAN on the slate headstone erected to his father’s memory in Moville Cemetery. David departed this life January 2nd 1802 aged 48 years.

1. Hugh MILLIKEN, born c.1784, died early 1840s.  He married Margaret Anderson, daughter of Samuel Anderson and Jane Malcom of Newtownards. According to the Orr Manuscript, they had: <BR>

1. Elizabeth MILLIKEN, married John Kitcher of Glasgow.    

2. Hugh MILLIKEN, probably born in Newtownards, married Jane, styled "an Irish woman", they emigrated to America.

3. Margaret MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh.

4. David MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh.

5. John MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh.

6. James MILLIKEN, born c. 1836 at Ballyskeagh, youngest son of Hugh MILLIKEN; married 1st, Catherine Gray of Ballybarnes, a sower and daughter of John GRAY, farmer, on January 25, 1860, at Newtowards Church of Ireland.  He remained on his father's home farm in Ballyskeagh, until the death of his mother.  He married 2nd, Annie STEVENSON, Nee ROE, widow and servant, on 3rd January 1868, at Holywood Church of Ireland.  She was the daughter of William ROE, farmer. At the time of his marriage to Annie, James was living in Tullynagardy, and is described as being a farmer in 1868.    Died on 3rd January 1890, at Galgorm Street, Ballymena, aged 54 years. His wife Ann MILLIKEN witnessed his death entry.

1. Catherine MILLIKEN.



4. James MILLIKEN.

5. Robert MILLIKEN


7. Jane MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh, witnessed to James's marriage in 1868.

8. Mary MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh.

2. David MILLIKEN, born 1770s, died in 1854. He married Jane

3. James MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh

4. Mary MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh

5. Hugh MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh

6. Joseph MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh

7. Isaac MILLIKEN, born at Ballyskeagh, married Agnes Brown

The 26-acre farm acquired by Hugh Milliken from Robert Bell of Newtownards lay next to the small farm leased by Margaret Milliken in Upper Ballyskeagh.  Nearly all the origin wills and testaments for Ireland were destroyed by a fire at the Four Courts Building in Dublin in 1922, including the will of Hugh Milliken.  Fortunately, the original Index of wills for the Diocese of Down has survived and lists the will of “Hugh Milliken of Newtown”, which was made probate in 1754.   It is a great pity Hugh’s will did not survive, as no doubt, it would have furnished more information on his immediate family and the extent of his property in the district of Newtownards.  Thankfully, Hugh and his only known child, James, receive some mentioned in the Biographical Notes of the Rev. Gideon T. Ridlon.  He tells us that James’s wife was called Dorothea and they had an only son also called James .  I am fairly confident Hugh had property in the town of Newtownards, where his son, James, later built a house on North Street.

 The Fourth Generation

HUGH MILLIKEN eldest son of James Milliken and Jane Dunn of Ballyskeagh, was born about the year 1772 at Ballyskeagh.  He married Isabella Strean of Newtownards.  Hugh acquired a farm holding in the townland of Ballyrogan near Newtownards in 1804, probably about the time he married Isabella Strean, from Robert Stewart, earl of Londonderry.  The Indenture of Lease is dated April 13, 1804, and recites a grant of land in Ballyrogan containing 19 acres, 1 rood, 24 perches with an annual of £24. 8s 11p.  It was to be held during the natural lives of Alexander Stewart, son of Alexander Stewart of Ards, aged 12 years 6 months, Arthur Johnston Crawford, son of John Crawford of Crawfordsburn, aged 19 years and Hugh Mulligan, aged about 30 years.  This lease expired in November 1850 on the death of Alexander Stewart.

In 1826, Hugh Milliken and Bernard O’Neil of Ballyrogan purchased a lease for 2 acres 3 roods 3 perches of ground at Ballyrogan National School. The rent was £1.17.6½ half yearly.  By 1837, Robert Ritchey was renting the ground at the National School. Hugh also rented a further 14 acres 2 roods 23 perches of land in Ballyrogan paid at £6.11.10 half yearly. This leased expired in 1831 and was re-let to John Boyce in 1832.  In 1831, Hugh Milliken and his brother, James Milliken, were party to a Deed of Release in favour of James Campbell of Charlestown, South Carolina, in the United States of North America, merchant, for the sum of £10 bequeathed to him by James Milliken of Ballyskeagh. James Campbell was the son of Hugh’s sister, Sarah Milliken, who married John Campbell of Ballyleidy.  By 1840, we find Hugh again purchasing another leasehold belonging to Thomas Kelly for 11 acres 3 roods 11 perches of land in Ballybarnes with a half yearly rental charge to the earl of Londonderry amounting to £4.11.8.

Hugh Milliken of Ballyrogan died in 1847 at the height of the Irish Famine. Inscribed on his headstone in Movilla Cemetery are the words, ‘Hugh Milliken who died on the 23rd August 1847 aged 75 years. Also his wife Isabella Milliken alias Strean who died on the 28th April 1850 aged 67 years’. Hugh’s last will and testament was made probate in 1849. It was destroyed in the fire in the Public Record of Office in 1922. Only the reference to his will survives in the Indexes, which records Hugh Milliken, farmer, Ballyrogan, will probate 1849.  I have only been able to identify the names of three of Hugh and Isabella’s children:

1. James MILLIKEN died at the aged of 4 years.

2. Isabella MILLIKEN died a child.

3. James MILLIKEN born c.1817 at Ballyrogan. See Fifth Generation

The Fifth Generation

JAMES MILLIKEN son of Hugh Milliken and Isabella Strean of Ballyrogan; born c.1817 at Ballyrogan;  m. 2nd Jane Speer (b. July 26, 1819) daughter of William Speer and Margaret Carsby of Monkstown, Co. Antrim, on June 29, 1848, at Carnmoney Presbyterian Church. Their marriage certificate indicates that James Milliken was of ‘full’ legal age to marry, a widower and farmer.  Jane is described as being of full age and single. The wedding ceremony was witnessed by James Milliken (his cousin, James Milliken of Tullynagardy) and William Speer, Jane’s brother. William Speer later married Mary Milliken, sister of James Milliken of Tullynagardy.  The name of James’s first wife is not known to the writer. It has been difficult to reconstruct the names of James’s children by his first wife without knowing her name. His known children are:

Children by 1st Unnamed Wife.

Isabella MILLIKEN b. at Ballyrogan; married William McMurray of Ballyrogan on July 14, 1869, at Regent Street Presbyterian Church.  Isabella’s marriage certificate states she was the daughter of James Milliken, farmer. She signed “Isabella Milliken”. William was the son of William McMurray (deceased), late farmer of Ballyrogan. His father died on February 28, 1868 at Ballyskeagh. His last Will and Testament was made probate March 1, 1869 at the Belfast Probate Registry by the oaths of William McMurray of Ballyrogan, his son, and William Goudy of Ballycullen, farmers. His Effects amounted to £100.

Margaret MILLIKEN, b. at Ballyrogan? She gave birth to a child called Jane Milliken on August 1, 1870. The birth was registered by Mary McCullough.  


Children by 2nd wife Jane Speer.

William Speer MILLIKEN b. c. 1853, at Ballyrogan. See Sixth Generation.

Hugh MILLIKEN, b. c.1861. He never married. Hugh inherited part of his father’s farm, and was still in possession of it by 1901, when he appears in the All Ireland Census. He is aged 40 years, Presbyterian and unmarried.  

Elizabeth Jane MILLIKEN, b. January 3, 1862, at Ballyrogan; m. Hugh Moore Colville of Rathgael on April 19, 1892, at Holywood Presbyterian Church.

James Milliken would have inherited his father, Hugh’s farm after his mother, Isabella’s death in 1850, two years after his marriage to Jane Speers of Monkstown. These were indeed unsettling times with Irish Famine barely over. James died on January 22, 1871, aged 54 years, at Ballyrogan. His son, William Milliken of Ballyrogan, became the registrar’s informant. At the time of his death, James was married and a farmer. His will was made probate on October 20, 1871, at the Belfast Probate Registry.  His effects were under £300. It was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Jane Milliken of Ballyrogan, widow, and William Speers of Monkstown, farmer, the executors. I have not examined the original will.  Jane died on February 8, 1892, at the age of 72 year, at Ballyrogan.  She is styled farmer’s widow and her son Hugh Milliken registered the death. She was buried at Movilla Cemetery on February 9, 1892.

JAMES MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Mary Corry, b. January 31, 1831, at Tullynagardy; m. Grace Auld Colville (b. December 9, 1839) daughter of John Colville (1803-1860) and Grace Auld (1802-1864) of Tullynagardy on June 13, 1860 at the First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards. At the time of their marriage, both James and Grace were of full age and single. James Milliken died March 30, 1895, aged 64 years at Tullynagardy and was buried at Movilla Cemetery. He is described in his certificate of death as being a farmer. His son Robert Milliken is named as the registrar’s informant.  Grace continued live at Tullynagardy, and is mentioned in the 1901 and 1911 Census of Ireland.  Grace (Auld) died on October 22, 1917, aged 77 years, at Tullynagardy. She is styled a farmer’s widow and her son Robert Milliken registered her death. Her son Robert inherited the farm after her death.

Children of James Milliken and Grace Auld Colville of Tullynagardy:

1. John MILLIKEN, b. November 18, 1861.  See Sixth Generation.

2. Robert Corry MILLIKEN, b. December 17, 1863. See Sixth Generation.

3. Grace Auld MILLIKEN, b. March 26, 1866, at Tullynagardy; m. James McDonald in 1893 in Wynberg, South Africa, and had one daughter.

4. Mary Corry MILLIKEN, b. August 5, 1868, at Tullynagardy; m. Hugh Kilpatrick, a widower and farmer of Whiteabbey on September 11, 1895. She had one son. No more information.

5. James Colville MILLIKEN, b. April 8, 1871, at Tullynagardy, m. Maria Wilson and. He assisted his Uncle James Colville in Newtownards as a clerk and later became the Town Clerk of Bangor.

6. William Colville MILLIKEN, b. July 3, 1873, at Tullynagardy; served his apprenticeship as an engineer in a factory in Newtownards; m. Miss. Robb and they emigrated to South Africa about the year 1895. He worked as an engineer in railway work shops in Capetown and later in Johannesburg. He was hit by a skip and died in hospital shortly afterwards; his mother went blind shortly after hearing the news. Following his death, his wife and children, Earnest Colville Milliken and Mary Milliken returned to live in Newtownards. They lived on Frederick Street, Newtownards, for a time. Earnest Milliken continued to live in Newtownards.

7. Susanna Corry MILLIKEN, b. October 29, 1875, at Tullynagardy, d. November 21, 1895, aged 20 years, at Tullynagardy. She died unmarried.  Her brother, Robert Corry Milliken, who had not long returned from New Zealand, registered her death.

8. Samuel Orr MILLIKEN, b. September 17, 1878, at Tullynagardy; served his apprenticeship with Bross Bryce of Belfast. Emigrated to America and worked for International Harvester Co., then transferred to Palmerston North, New Zealand and later to Dunedin, as manager.  In the New Zealand records he is called ‘Samuel Auld Milliken’. Yet, he was registered Samuel Orr Milliken, was his middle name changed later? He married Grace Elizabeth [Surname not known] in 1911 in Palmerston North and died in Dunedin in 1930. After his death, Grace moved to Temuka, apparently to be near her family.

9. Hugh McCutcheon MILLIKEN, b. December 11, 1880. See Sixth Generation.

10. Jane Moore Colville MILLIKEN, b. September 5, 1884, at Tullynagardy; m. Isaac Moore, a farmer near Bangor, on April 26, 1916, and had five children, Jean, Isaac, Robert, Grace Colville and Mary. Jane was better known as Jeanie.  

ROBERT HUGH MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Mary Corry, b. March 22, 1837, at Tullynagardy; baptised on April 9, 1837, at Regent Street Presbyterian Church in Newtownards. He emigrated to Baltimore in the State of Maryland and entered the linen business with James McCutcheon as partner. He returned to Ireland sometime later in poor health. Robert Hugh married Grace Kirk, daughter of Robert and Ellen Kirk in May, 1862. In 1868, The City Directory of Baltimore carried the following advert: “MILLIKEN R. H., Importer and Dealer in Linen Goods, 195 w Baltimore Street, dw Druid Hill av, near Lanvale”.  By 1880, his business, ‘Shirt Manufacturer’ had moved to 221 w, Baltimore, dw 216 Druid Hill av, near Lavnale. The US Federal Census of 1880 records Robert’s household as:

Waverly, Baltimore, Maryland

Robert Milliken, head, aged 43 yrs, Linen Shirt Manufacturer, born in Ireland.

Grace Milliken, wife, aged 36 yrs, keeping house, born in Maryland.

Walter Milliken, son, aged 16 yrs, at School, born in Maryland.

Morris Milliken, son, aged 12 yrs, at School, born in Maryland.

Bell Milliken, daughter, aged 8 yrs, at School, born in Maryland.

Grace Milliken, daughter, aged 6 yrs, born in Maryland.

Robert Milliken, son, aged 3 yrs, born in Maryland.

Robert Hugh and Grace were still alive in 1900, when the US Federal Census finds them living at 327 East Lafayette Ave, Baltimore.

Robert H. Milliken, head, b. March 1838, aged 62 yrs, born in Ireland.

Grace Milliken, wife, b. July 1845, aged 55 yrs, born in Ireland.

Isabella Milliken, daughter, b. June, 1872, aged 25 yrs, born in Maryland.

Robert C. Milliken, son, b. December 1877, aged 22 yrs, born in Maryland.

Children of Robert Hugh Milliken and Grace Kirk of Baltimore:

1. Walter MILLIKEN, b. February 15, 1865.

2. Morris MILLIKEN, b. October 8, 1868.

3. Robert S. MILLIKEN, b. July 11, 1870, died young.

4. Isabella W. MILLIKEN, b. June 4, 1872.

5. Grace K. MILLIKEN, b. June 10, 1874.

6. Robert C. MILLIKEN, b. December 26, 1877.

JAMES MILLIKEN son of Hugh Milliken and Margaret Anderson of Ballyskeagh; b c. 1836 at Newtownards; married 1st, Catherine Gray of Ballybarnes, a sower and daughter of John Gray, farmer, on January 25, 1860, at Newtowards Church of Ireland.  He remained on his father's home farm in Ballyskeagh, until the death of his mother.  He married 2nd, Annie Stevenson, Nee Roe, widow and servant, on January 3, 1868, at Holywood Church of Ireland.  She was the daughter of William Roe, farmer. At the time of his marriage to Annie, James was living in Tullynagardy, and is described as being a farmer in 1868.

In his Miscellaneous Notes, the Rev. Ridlon says on ‘Gentleman James’, he says he was names ‘so because he was a very prosperous gentleman-farmer, and to distinguish him from one of the name who was not as well provided with this world’s goods’. The less fortunate namesake, was his distant cousin James Milliken, the writers great, great grandfather. At the time of her marriage, James’s mother, Margaret Milliken was still living; his father having predeceased some 10 years earlier.  Catherine died at the age of 32, on 24th April, 1866, at Ballyskeagh. From her death certificate, she is said to have died of Dropsy, having been infirmed for about a year.  Her sister Catherine was present at her death. James died on January 3, 1890, at Galgorm Street, Ballymena, aged 54 years. His wife Ann Milliken witnessed his death entry. James was buried at Cushendall Cemetery in Ballymena on 5th January, 1890, section D6, liar Gr.14.

Children by 1st wife Catherine Gray:

1. Catherine MILLIKEN, married name not known, lived of the Shankhill Road in Belfast, and either on Agnes Street or Mayo Street, in 1940.

2. James MILLIKEN, nothing more known.

3. Hugh MILLIKEN, b. 1866 at Ballyskeagh. See Sixth Generation.

4. John MILLIKEN, nothing more known.

Children by 2nd wife Annie Roe:

5. Robert MILLIKEN, b. March 28, 1871, at 11 Springview Street, Belfast. He joined the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) at its recruitment depot in Hamilton, Lanarkshire on 19th September, 1889.  From his military records, it is possible to create a pen picture of Robert; he is described as being approximately 5 feet, 7 inches in stature, and weighted 9½ stones.  He had a fresh complexion, brown hair and grey eyes.  His first major tour of duty began on 19th September, 1890, when he embarked for India to take up a post at Jubbulpore where the 2nd Battalion (Scottish Rifles) was already stationed.  After 3 years of Service in India, he returned to Aldershots, England, in 1893 and joined the 1st Battalion.  On completing his seven year service on 17th October, 1896, he was honourably discharged after having attained the rank of Lance Corporal in 1894. Two years after his discharge, he again rejoined the Cameronian Regiment in 1898 and fought in the Boer War in until his discharge in 1902. He returned to Glasgow, where with his brother, Hugh’s help he obtained employment at Singers as a sewing machine worker.  He lived with his brother and family at Mansion Street, Glasgow, until his death, when at the age of 35 he died on 28th May, 1906 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow.

JAMES MILLIKEN son of David and Jane Milliken of Ballyskeagh, b. 1830s, at Ballyskeagh; m. Jane McWhinney of Ballycullen, daughter of Alexander McWhinney, farmer, on December 9, 1856, at the First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards. The ceremony was witnessed by Hugh Milliken (his brother) and Margaret Robb.  He inherited his father’s farm in the townland of Ballyrogan, which amounted to 39 acres and 2 roods. In Griffith’s Valuation of 1863, he called James Milliken (little) to distinguish him from James Milliken, son of Hugh Milliken. Griffith’s Valuation also notes he sublet a house to John Wilson. He sold the farm to James Milliken of Ballyrogan, and moved to Conway Street, Newtownards. Later, he moved to Belfast, where he and his wife are believed to have died.

Known children of James Milliken and Jane McWhinney:

1. Jane MILLIKEN, b. c. 1857; d. January 30, 1864, at Ballyrogan, aged 6 years. She is styled a farmer’s daughter.  Her father was the registrar’s informant.

2. James MILLIKEN, b. December 15, 1864, at Ballyrogan. His father, James Milliken farmer of Ballyrogan, was the registrar’s informant. He baptised on December 24, 1864, at First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards.

3. Joseph MILLIKEN, b. March 16, 1867, at Conway Square, Newtownards. His father, James Milliken publican of Conway Street, Newtownards was he registrar’s informant.  Joseph was baptised on March 16, 1867, at First Presbyterian Church, Newtownards. He died on December 22, 1867, aged 9 months, at Conway Square, Newtownards. He is called publican’s son and his registered the death.

4. Jane Elizabeth MILLIKEN, b. January 7, 1873, at 11 Burma Street, Belfast. Her father was a labourer and registered the birth.

5. Margaret MILLIKEN, b. January 16, 1876, at Meenan Street, Belfast. Her father was a labourer and registered the birth.

HUGH MILLIKEN aka MILLIGAN son of David and Jane Milliken of Ballyskeagh; b. c.1822; inherited the home farm in Ballyskeagh, now called Ballyskeagh House.  He was a second cousin to James Milliken (my great great grandfather). Hugh married Mary Ann Moore of Killarn, daughter of Jonathan Moore, farmer, on April 8, 1857, at the First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards, four years after his father’s death.  In Hugh’s marriage certificate, his age is given as ‘full’, and his status as a bachelor. At the time of his marriage, he was residing in Ballyskeagh and his father was ‘David Milliken’, farmer.  The couple’s marriage was witnessed by John Moore and Mary Milliken.

In 1993, I met in person one of Hugh’s grandsons, Sydney Milligan, at his home in Belmont, Belfast, for the first and last time. For me, this was quite a moment, as it was the first time I had ever met in person anyone from the Ballyskeagh branch, who was able to share and reminisces about people I had only read about in civil records and estate papers.  Of his grandfather, Sydney could recollect being told by his father that Hugh had changed his surname from Milliken to Milligan by deed poll, as there was in his time several families living in the area called Milliken. This had caused some considerable confusion. Like his father, David before him, Hugh was a well known farmer in the district, who was affectionally called the Stargazer because of his habit of walking on a clear night through his fields to read the star signs.

Hugh Milligan of Ballyskeagh died on August 25, 1900, aged 78 years, at Ballyskeagh, and was buried the same day at Movilla Cemetery.  His wife, Mary Ann died on January 15, 1920, aged 95 years, at Ballyskeagh and was buried at Movilla Cemetery.

Children of Hugh and Maryann Milligan of Ballyskeagh:

1. Samuel MILLIGAN (reg. MILLIKEN), b. about 1858. See 6th Generation.

Mary MILLIGAN (reg. MILLIKEN), b. date unknown, at Ballyskeagh, m. Henry Crawford Orr, farmer from Cronstown, and son of David Orr, farmer, at Newtownards First Presbyterian Church on December 30, 1885.   

2. John MILLIGAN (reg. MILLIKEN), b. May 2, 1864, at Ballyskeagh. In the Civil Register of Births, his parents are given as ‘Hugh Millikin’, farmer, and mother, ‘Mary Ann Millikin’, maiden surname, ‘Moore’.  The registrar’s informant was ‘Mary Ann Millikin’. John appears to have died fairly young, as Robert is said to have been 3rd in line from Samuel.  There is no record of John’s death.  However, as John’s birth was registered in the first year of Civil Registration in 1864, it is possible it was never recorded. It is known that a significant number of births and death were never recorded during early period of civil registration.

3. Hugh MILLIGAN (reg. MILLIKEN), b. May 12, 1866, at Ballyskeagh.  His parents are given in the Civil Register of Births, as ‘Hugh Milliken’, farmer, and mother, ‘Mary Ann Milliken’, maiden surname, ‘Moore’. He emigrated to the United States of America. He lost touch with the family after he emigrated to America.

4. Robert MILLIGAN, b. May 18, 1868. In the Registry of Civil Births, this entry doesn’t give the male child’s name.  It is not uncommon to find a child’s Christian’s name unrecorded. In such cases, it usually indicated the child had not yet been Christened, the point at which the child was given its full name.  His parent’s names are given as, Hugh Milligan, farmer, and Mary Ann Milligan, maiden surname Moore. His father, ‘Hugh Milligan’ registered the birth. Robert seems the most likely child given his place as 3rd in line from Samuel the eldest surviving son.  Robert emigrated to Australia and married a Scottish lady. They had one daughter, Corra Milligan.  Robert and his wife owned a hotel called the ‘Rose Shamrock & Thistle’ in Melbourne.

5. Jane MILLIGAN, b. March 3, 1871, at Ballyskeagh. The Newtownards Civil Register of Death records the death of Jane Milligan, aged 17 years, at Ballyskeagh, on January 30, 1889. She is described as being a farmer’s daughter; the registrar’s information was ‘Joseph Milligan’, brother.  I think the day date of her death is wrong, as she was buried on January 14, 1889.

6. Joseph MILLIGAN, b. 1879, d. April 13, 1890, aged 21 years, at Ballyskeagh. His death certificate states he was a bachelor and Art Student. The registrar’s informant was his father, Hugh Milliken.

The Sixth Generation

WILLIAM SPEER MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Jane Speer, b. c. 1853, at Ballyrogan, married Margaret McCully (b. 1853) daughter of William McCully and Esther McMurray of Ballysallagh. His father, James Milliken, would have been aged 36 years, when William was born c.1859; m. Margaret McCully (b. c.1859) daughter of William McCully and Esther McMurray of Ballyskeagh, at Holywood Presbyterian Church on July 1, 1883, by the Rev. John Quartz, minister of Ballygilbert Presbyterian Church. The clerk wrongly spelt William’s surname as Mulligan. However, he signed himself “William Milliken”. Margaret signed herself “Maggie McCully”. He was of full age, bachelor and farmer. Their wedding ceremonial was witnessed by William McCully and Margaret Goudy.

William Milliken of Ballyrogan died on November 28, 1902, aged 49 years.  He is described as being a married at the time of death and a farmer. His widow, Margaret Milliken, was the Registrar’s informant. Margaret or ‘Maggie’ died November 21, 1934, aged 75 years, at Ballyrogan. She is described in her death certificate as being a farmer’s widow. Her son John Milliken registered her death.  William was buried at Movilla Cemetery, where the Cemetery burial records simply note the following entry:

January 23, 1902

William Milliken, farmer, Ballyrogan, Disease of Lungs, Section 2.

School Register for Ballyrogan National School.

Infant Class

Hugh Milliken of Ballyskeagh, aged 5 yrs, started August 17, 1892, father labourer.

James Milliken of Ballyrogan, aged 7 yrs, started April 25, 1892, father farmer.

Children of William Speer Milliken and Margaret McCully are:

Jane MILLIKEN, b. February 4, 1883, at Ballyrogan. Robert Goudy of Ballyskeagh was the registrar’s informant. Her father is styled farmer.  She was baptised at Ballygilbert Presbyterian Church. She was married at this church to Alexander Cree of Ballybarnes, son of Robert Cree, farmer, on January 16, 1900.  Apparently, she had eight children.

Esther (Cissy) MILLIKEN, b. July 14, 1885, at Ballyrogan. Agnes Gourley of Ballyrogan was the registrar’s informant.

Margaret MILLIKEN, b. January 22, 1887, at Ballyrogan. Agnes Gourley of Ballyrogan was the registrar’s informant. Margaret married Alexander Wallace, aged 20 years and a farmer of Craigavad, on May 11, 1909, at the First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards. Alexander was the son of David Wallace, farmer.

Hugh MILLIKEN, b. June 20, 1888, at Ballyrogan. Maggie Milliken (mother) was the registrar’s informant.

James MILLIKEN, b. December 22, 1890, at Ballyrogan. He is wrongly registered as William. Maggie Milliken (mother) was the registrar’s informant. The All Ireland Census of 1901 lists the name of James Milliken, aged 10 years, son of William and Margaret Milliken of Ballyrogan.  It would seem James was registered William, but probably called James. In the Register of Ballyrogan National School, he was aged 7 years when he started his primary education on December 24, 1898.    

William MILLIKEN, b. May 20, 1896, at Ballyrogan. Mary Telford was the registrar’s informant.  This child appears to be the William who died next.

William MILLIKEN, died only an infant of nine months, at Ballyrogan, on March 16, 1897. Described as being a farmer’s son. His mother, Maggie Milliken was the registrar’s information.

Isabella MILLIKEN, b. August 26, 1898, at Ballyrogan. Isabella McMurray was the registrar’s informant.

John (Jack) MILLIKEN, b. March 9, 1900, at Ballyrogan. Maggie Milliken (mother) was the registrar’s informant.

JOHN MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Grace Colville, b. November 18, 1861, at Tullynagardy.  Emigrated with his brother, Robert Milliken, to New Zealand in 1884 and settled at Temuka, Canterbury. According to one of his granddaughters, John had emigrated to New Zealand after a disagreement between him and his parents.   He married Agnes Herriot McCully (b. June 6, 1870, in Newtownards) daughter of Samuel McCully and Mary Ann Little Moore on September 30, 1894, at the Presbyterian Church Manse in Temuka. At the time of his marriage, he was living at Rangatata. Robert Milliken and Mary Ann McCully witnessed their marriage.  He became a farmer and for a time, farmed at Clandeboye near Temuka and later in Southland. He died in Temuka on April 26, 1939.

Children of John Milliken and Agnes McCully are:

1. Mary Anna McCully MILLIKEN, b. 1895 at Clandeboye, NZ, d. August 6, 1964 at Woodlands, Southland; m. Thomas McKinnel in 1917 at Gore, Southland. She had two daughters, Agnes McKinnel (m. Norman Frew) and Eleanor Sadie McKinnel (m. Edward Philip King).

2. Robert Corry MILLIKEN, b. May 21, 1897 at Clandeboye, NZ, d. 1971. When a teenager, he suffered head injuries and brain damage, which left him prone to seizures, after being struck either by a falling ladder or from falling off a ladder. He lived with his parents until his mother was unable to care for him any more. He was then placed in care at Sunnyside Home and except for the occasionally seizure, he settled well and was still able to read, go for walks, etc.

3. Grace MILLIKEN, b. July 26, 1898 at Clandeboye, NZ; m. Raymond Francis Leith in Temuka in 1921. She had three children, John Leith (m. Margaret Cargill), Helen Jane Leith (m. Horace Tooley) and Margaret Grace Leith (m. John Walker).

4. Henry (Harry) McCully MILLIKEN, b. January 7, 1900, d. 1990; m. Wai-iti Irene Leith in Invercargill, Southland on April 1, 1929. He had two daughters, Elizabeth Milliken (m. James William Mason Harris) and Shirley Leith Milliken (m. Kevin John Baker).

5. Hugh McCully MILLIKEN, b. September 30, 1902 at Invercargill, Southland, d. 1972; m. Ella Kathleen Black (1906-1988) in 1928. He had six children: John Morton Milliken (m. Joyce White), Myrna Mary Milliken (m. Neville Clarkson), Anthony Hugh Milliken, Jeannette Mary Milliken, Shona Grace Milliken and Helen Milliken.

6. Jean (Jean) Colville MILLIKEN, b. 1903, d. 1986; m. Robert James Wallace. She had three children: June Wallace (m. Wallace Brown), Rosalie Wallace (m. Peter Schwabe) and Alison Wallace.

ROBERT CORRY MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Grace Colville, b. December 17, 1863, at Tullynagardy. Emigrated to New Zealand in 1884 with his brother, John Milliken, but returned ten years later to live with his mother at Tullynagardy.  He married Anna Moore, on June 10, 1903, at Holywood Presbyterian Church. In the 1911 Census of Ireland, he and his wife, Anna, and their sons, were recorded as visitors at the home of Mary Gray of Ballyskeagh. Robert inherited Concord Farm in Tullynagardy after his mother’s death in 1717.  

Children of Robert Milliken and Anna Moore are:

John Corry MILLIKEN, b. October 10, 1903, at Ballyskeagh. His father, Robert, is named as the registrar’s informant and his occupation is given as farmer. John married Mary Helen Milligan daughter of Samuel Milligan and Anna McKee of Ballyskeagh. They had two sons; James Milliken (farmer of Concord, Tullynagardy) and Harold Milliken (farmer of Ballyskeagh).

Alexander Moore MILLIKEN, b. June 12, 1907, at Ballyskeagh. His father, Robert, is named as the registrar’s informant and his occupation is given as farmer. Alexander married Rose Anna Milligan daughter of Samuel Milligan and Anna McKee of Ballyskeagh. They had two children; Robert Milliken and Rosemary Milliken.

HUGH McCUTCHEON MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Grace Colville, b. December 11, 1880, at Tullynagardy. Emigrated to New Zealand on June 27, 1905, aged 24 years, and settled in Temuka, Canterbury. He married Mary McDonald McCully in 1913.  She was the niece of the Agnes Herriot McCully who married Hugh’s eldest brother, John Corry Milliken, in 1894. Later, in 1920, Hugh established the family farm at Springbrook, St. Andrews, south of Temuka. Sadly, after the still birth of a daughter, his wife Mary died on June 12, 1923. In correspondence with the Grace Smith, his eldest daughter, she writes, “Our grandparents, Margaret and William McCully were a tower of strength to Dad and Samuel Auld aged 2 years stayed with them until he started work”.

Children of Hugh Milliken and Mary McCully are:

1. Grace Margaret MILLIKEN b. 1914, at Temuka; m. Edward Albert Sayers Smith (died in 1985). She had four children; Hugh Edwin Smith, Neil Smith, Helen Dorothy Smith and Isobel Jean Smith.

2 Jean MILLIKEN, b. 1915, at Temuka, d. in 1987; m. Bernard Charles Giles. She had five children; Charles Desmond Giles, Rodney Freeman Giles, Walter Hugh Giles, Kevin Edward Giles and Mary Jeanette Giles.

3. William McCully MILLIKEN, b. 1917, at Temuka, d. in February 1990 aged 73 years; m. Agnes Edith Brendon. He had five children; Alison Joan Milliken, Karen Mary Milliken, Sarah Anne Milliken, Heather Margaret Milliken and Peter William Milliken. After his father retired, William took over the running of the farm at Springbrook and after he retired, his son, Peter, now runs the farm.

4. James McCutcheon MILLIKEN, b. 1919, at Springbrook; m. Margery Joan Watkins. He had four children; Roberta Jill Milliken, Eleanor Ruth Milliken, Janet Mary Milliken and Wendy Margaret Milliken. He served in World War II in Egypt and was a prisoner of war for nearly three years in Italy and Germany. He visited Ulster after the war and made a trip to Tullynagardy.

5. Samuel Auld MILLIKEN, b. 1921, at Springbrook; m. Joy Jean Blakemore. He had four children; Ashley Graham Milliken, Elspeth Joy Milliken, Lynley Jean Milliken and Trevor Samuel Milliken.

HUGH MILLIKEN son of James Milliken and Catherine Gray, b about 1866 at Ballyskeagh; m. Agnes Brock Kennedy Lawrie, daughter of John Lawrie and Ann Kennedy of Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, on 22 May, 1889, informally at 173 Shamrock Street, now part of Cowcaddens in Glasgow, in the presences of William Irwin (shoemaker) and Mary Milroy.  They were married by “Declaration” a mode of marriage which until 1940 allowed both parties to take each other as husband and wife, "there and then"; a declaration might be written or oral and witnesses were not essential.  Hugh’s occupation is given as a journeyman Ironfitter. He was a bachelor and Agnes was a spinster. Interestingly, the couple both lived 106 Hawthorn Street in Possilpark in 1889.  From Ann’s birth certificate, we learn Agnes Lawrie was already living at 106 Hawthorn Street in 1887 suggesting Hugh was lodger in 1889.

Sometime during the first few months of the year 1909, Hugh and Agnes moved out of Glasgow and rented a private cottage, called Eden Villa, near Hardgate, Dunbartonshire, from Mrs Annie Mitchell of 84 Kent Road, Glasgow, at charge of £15.00 per annum.  The cottage with its own fenced garden verged on the Old Kilpatrick hills over looking the Clyde Estrary. By then Hugh was employed as a Forman fitter at Singer’s Factory in Clydebank.  Hugh died at Eden Villa, Hardgate, on 13 May, 1910 at the age of 44 years. After his death, the family moved from Hardgate to Ballyrobert in Co. Down about 1912. The family lived for a short time at Lillycroft, the house is now demolished. Agnes died on 8 September, 1922, at Ballymiscaw, Co. Down, and was burned at Dundonald Cemetery.

Children of Hugh Milliken and Agnes Lawrie are:

1. Ann Kennedy Lawrie HORN, b. 9 March, 1887, 106 Hawthorn Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; m. 1st Peter Hind, in Glasgow, on 8 August, 1906, (he died in a tragic accident on 21 April, 1907), 2nd Andrew McKee, at St. Anne’s Cathedral in Belfast, on 9 February, 1918; d. 24 September, 1961, at Belfast. She had two children, Peter and Netta Hind.

2. James Lawrie MILLIKEN, b. 2 December, 1889, at 106 Hawthorn Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; d. 13 July, 1892, at 340 Saracen Street, Possilpark.

3. John Lawrie MILLIKEN, b. 1 May, 1891, at 340 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; m. Margaret Jane Gilpin, at the Victoria Memorial Hall in Belfast on 29 January , 1923; d. 15 May, 1968, at Newtownabbey. He had four children, Ruth, Lucinda, John and William Milliken.

4. Agnes Lawrie MILLIKEN, b. 28 April, 1893, 340 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; emigrated to Canada in 1919; m. John McKee, at Saskatchewan, Canada, on 10 December, 1920; d. 1973 at Nigeria Falls. She had five children, John, Robert, Agnes, Arnold and Mavis McKee.

5. Hugh MILLIKEN, b. 14 August, 1895; 340 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; joined the Royal Rifles Irish, killed in action on 21 March, 1918, in the fields of Flanders.

6. William Jamison MILLIKEN, b. 1898; d. on 17 September, 1898, at 340 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow, aged 8 months.

7. William James MILLIKEN, b. 1900; d. 18 May, 1900, at 59 Mansion Street, Possilpark, Glasgow, 17 days old.

8. Mary Lawrie MILLIKEN, b. 7 February, 1902, at 59 Mansion Street, Possilpark, Glasgow; d. 15 December, 1902, at 60 Mansion Street, Possilpark.

SAMUEL MILLIGAN son of Hugh Milligan and Mary Ann Moore, b. about 1858 at Ballyskeagh; m. 1st Margaret Crawford of Ballyhenry, daughter of John R. Crawford, at the First Presbyterian Church in Newtownards on 1 January, 1890. ‘Maggie’, as she was better known as, sadly died on 9 December, 1901, at Ballyskeagh, and was laid to rest the following day, 10th, at Movilla Cemetery, where Samuel had purchased a plot for her. He married 2nd Anna Wallace McKee on 18 February, 1903, at Holywood Presbyterian Church. Samuel was described as being a quiet man, of devout nature who was a well known and respected farmer in the local community. On his death in 1947, his farm, which comprised about 135 acres, was divided between his two sons, Samuel and George Milligan.

The 14 children of Samuel Milligan of Ballyskeagh by his two wives:

First wife – Margaret Crawford

1. Eleanor MILLIGAN, b. 16 November, 1890, m. Samuel Stevenson of Newtownards. Deceased by 1993.

2. Jane (Jennie) MILLIGAN, b. 10 January, 1892, m. John Colville of Tullynagardy (his farm was located next to Concord Farm), still alive in 1993. She had two daughters, one of whom is called Grace Colville.  I met, Grace, who lived on the Tullynagardy Road, in bungalow built on the Colville land. Some of the oral history that she provided has been included in this account on the Millikens of Tullynagardy and Milligans of Ballyskeagh.

Second wife – Anna McKee

3. David MILLIGAN, b. 1903, at Ballyskeagh, died in South Africa at Salisbury. He served his time as an Engineer at Harland and Wolf in Belfast.

4. Mary Helen MILLIGAN, b. 1904, at Ballyskeagh, m. John Corry MILLIKEN of Concord Farm, and had family.

5. Sydney MILLIGAN, b. 1906, at Ballyskeagh m. Janet Kirk, she was a school teacher. Sydney was a retired Bank Manager and lived in Belmont, Belfast.

6. Josephine MILLIGAN, b. 1907, at Ballyskeagh, never married and lived in a bungalow in the townland of Ballyskeagh in 1993.

7. Samuel MILLIGAN, b. 1909, he inherited part of his father’s farm and built his farmhouse and farm buildings on the south of side of Ballyskeagh next to Fairmount Farm. His son inherited the farm after his death.

8. Alfred Edward MILLIGAN, b. 1912, married and lived at Belmont, Belfast. He was a Civil Servant.

9. Hugh William MILLIGAN, b. 1913, no more information.

10. Robert MILLIGAN, b. 1914, married and lived in Belfast.

11. Winfred Margaret MILLIGAN, b. 1913, married and lived at Ballynure.

12. Edith Elizabeth MILLIGAN, b. 1917, unmarried and lived with her sister Josephine MILLIGAN in a bungalow in Ballyskeagh in 1993.

13. Rose Anna MILLIGAN, b. 1919, m. Alexander MILLIKEN of Concord Farm and had a family.

14. George Charles MILLIGAN, b. 1921, m. Eliza ORR, retired farmer. George has since died, leaving a widow.


1. Rent Roll of Manor Newtown, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Ref. T.695/4.

2. Deed between Sir Robert Colville and John Kennedy, National Archives of Ireland, Ref. D.15/261.

3. Dr. Hugh Kennedy of Belfast (died c.1685) purchased the townland of Ballycultra near Holywood from the Earl of Clanbrassil in 1671. His son, John Kennedy married Martha daughter of William Stewart of Ballylawn, the aunt of Robert, 1st Lord Londonderry.

4. Londonderry Estate Office Papers, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Ref. D654/L18/a-b.

5. Register of Deeds, Dublin, Young to Hutchison, Memorial No. 58/191/39155-6.

6. The Rev. Alexander Hutcheson was the son of George H. of Monkton in Ayrshire. He was appointed minister of Saintfield in 1659, and imprisoned for non-conformity in 1663 on suspicion of being concerned in Blood’s Plot.  He later became Moderator of the General Synod of Ulster. He died in 1711.

7. Londonderry Estate Office Papers, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Ref. D654/R1/1a-1b.

8. Ridlon, Gideon Tibbets: History of the Families Millingas and Millanges, Comprising Genealogies and Biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, etc. (1907), p. 779.

9. Lynch, Michael: Scotland A New History (1991), page 270.

10. Muster Rolls of the British Forces in Ulster, Presbyterian Historical Society, Belfast. The original muster rolls and preserved in the Public Record Office at Kew, London.

11. Shearman, Elizabeth & Jean: A Sense of Continuity: The Stewarts of Douro (1993), page 154.

12. Mulligan Family of Banbridge, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Manuscript D. 2330/1.

13. Ridlon, Gideon Tibbets: History of the Families Millingas and Millanges, Comprising Genealogies and Biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, etc. (1907), p. 776.

14. Caughey, John: Seize Then The Hour; A History of James P. Corry & Co. and of the Corry Family 1123-1974.

15. He was born c.1771 and died on July 16, 1851. He married Susanna White, born c.1769, died September 15, 1838.

16. Ridlon, Gideon Tibbets: History of the Families Milliangas and Millanges, Comprising Genealogies and Biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, etc. (1907), p.  331.

17. The Religious Society of Friends (Quaker), Lisburn Monthly Meeting, MIC. 16/7-23.

18. Muster Rolls of the British Forces in Ulster, Presbyterian Historical Society, Belfast. The original muster rolls and preserved in the Public Record Office at Kew, London.

19. Ridlon, Gideon Tibbets: History of the Families Millingas and Millanges, Comprising Genealogies and Biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, etc. (1907), p. 15.

20. Dobson, David: The Original Scots Colonist of Early America 1607-1707, Supplement (1998)].