Millican, Milligan, Millikan, Milliken, Millikin, Mullican, Mulliken, Mullikin etc
The Mulligans of the District of Banbridge
(Currently under construction)
The history of the Mulligans of the District of Banbridge in Co. Down, Northern Ireland, is preserved in two of the oldest "M" traditions and both are found in separate sources. The oldest is preserved amongst the papers known as the ‘Genealogical notes relating to the Hall and Mulligan Families, mostly in the Banbridge area 1641-
The Ballyskeagh tradition notes five brothers, said "to have removed from Scotland to Ireland during the wars between the Scotch and English, three of whom settled on the river Bann and two at Ballyskeagh" near Newtownards. This tradition echoes the Banbridge tradition, for in both the ancestors in question emigrated during the civil war between Scotland and England, or to be more precise, the Covenanters and Supporters of King Charles I. In another tradition, it is said of James Milliken of Ballyskeagh, better known as Gentleman James, that sometime during the 19th century he made a visit to meet James Milliken of Ravara in Co. Down and both by comparing notes, concluded that they represented the descendants of the two brothers who were believed to be called Robert and James Milliken. In both traditions, we find the immigrant ancestors crossing into North Down with some settling in the neighbourhood of Belfast and others moving into the Ards peninsula. There are at least four Banbridge manuscripts that share a similar tradition and family pedigree:
1. Draft pedigree of the Mulligan family of Tullyconnaught, Brague and Lisnasliggan in Co. Down c.1600-
2. Genealogical notes relating to the Hall and Mulligan families, mostly in the Banbridge area 1641-
3. Typescript copy of the family history of John Francis Mulligan, Solicitor, Belfast, compiled by Dr. John Campbell c.1721-
4. Genealogical table of the Mulligan family of Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, 1726-
In the Genealogical notes relating to the Mulligan Families, there are two versions of the tradition:
It appears by tradition that has brothers of the name of Millikin during the interracial broils of Scotland emigrated to Ireland and landed at Bangor, Co. Down, one brother moved into the Ards and the other directed his course towards Belfast and settled in that neighbourhood and after sometime married the sister of [John] Stewart of Ballydrain House, and at the 1641 wars of Ireland was one of those that defended Ballydrain House against the intruders of that day. By that marriage there was a son name James Millikin who made his way to the neighbourhood of Banbridge and settled in the townland of Ballievy and there married a wife of the name of Sarah Jelly and by her had children one a son they name Robert, this Robert had a son name William, this William had the like Robert, William, James, David and Joseph.
Extract from a paper left by James Charles Mulligan of Tullyconnaught
The following is a narrative by tradition reporting the emigration of the first Millikins from Scotland and their descendants down to the present day say 1843.
It appears by tradition that two brothers of the name of Millikin during the interracial broils of Scotland emigrated to Ireland and landed at Bangor, Co. Down, one brother moved into the Ards and the other directed his course towards Belfast and settled in that neighbourhood and after sometime married the sister of [John] Stewart of Ballydrain House, and at the 1641 wars of Ireland was one of those that defended Ballydrain House against the intruders of that day. By that marriage there was a son name James Millikin who made his way to the neighbourhood of Banbridge and settled in the townland of Ballievy and there married a wife of the name of Sarah Jelly and by her had children. The descendants of which are in vicinities of Brague, Tirfergus, Coulneeran and Knockgorm. Said Sarah Jelly died and said James married a second wife of the name Isabella Glen and by her had sons James, Samuel, Joseph and William. On James marrying [word unclear] the daughter of John Smith his father produced for him a farm of land in Tullyconnaught. James’ second son Samuel got part of the Ballievy property, his third son Joseph got another farm in Tullyconnaught, his youngest son William got the remaining piece in Ballievy. The eldest brother James of Tullyconnaught gave to his youngest son Charles his mansion place in Tullyconnaught and said Charles gave to this only son James Charles the mansion place the said townland of Tullyconnaught.
This James Charles was the writer of this narrative.
[Source: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland D2330/1]
There is another version in the Typescript copy of the family history of John Francis Mulligan, a solicitor in Belfast, who died at Belfast on 22 September, 1919. Dr. John Campbell compiled a history of his family and states Daniel Mulligan, who was of Irish descent, lived in Scotland and was twice married. The maiden name of the second wife was Isobel Glen. Upward of two hundred years ago Daniel Mulligan and Isobel, his wife, left Scotland and settled in Tullyconnaught in the neighbourhood of Banbridge. Their grandson, John Mulligan was married to Miss Gamble, niece of Dr. Gamble who lived near Belfast. The name Daniel is given in error, as James can be independently verified from a number of sources, including the Grand Lease of 1705. However, this version suggests the links with Scotland may have continued well into the 1700s, and perhaps a Daniel Mulligan had in fact settled within the neighbourhood of Balleevy, having come over to settle amongst his relatives in the townlands of Balleevy and Tullyconnaught. This small community of Mulligans would soon grow over the next few decades and they would become important figures in the Linen Industry in the district.
The earliest documents and references to the Mulligans of the District of Banbridge commence from 1 February, 1705, when Thomas Gordon, James McMullan, John Wright, William Martin, George Mulholland, John Gordon, Joshua Martin and James Mulligan, junior, all of Tullyconnaught in the County of Down, husbandmen, purchased a lease for the whole of the townland of Tullyconnaught from Marcus Trevor, 3rd Viscount Dungannon, and Anabella Susanna Hamilton, Viscountess Dungannon, and their representatives, Thomas St. Lawarence, Lord Baron of Howth, Blaney Townley of Aclair in the County of Louth, Esq, and Robert Saunders of the City of Dublin, Esq. Marcus Trevor, 3rd Viscount of Dungannon, who died in 1706, married Anabella Susanna Hamilton, daughter of Hugh Hamilton, 1st Lord of Glenawly, a career Scottish military officer of distinction in Sweden and immediate descendant of the Hamiltons of Desert in Lanarkshire. She died on 10 December, 1708.
I have a copy of the original Grand Lease for the founding this family in Tullyconnaught, but I do not have a copy of the Grand Lease for the townland of Balleevy. It is evident, James Mulligan, senior, did hold a lease of land in the townland of Balleevy, as he became embroiled in civil court case over an error made in the lease about the yearly rental charge. On 2 December, 1708, Samuel Waring of Waringstown, Robert Ross of the City of Dublin, and Robert Gordon of Ballytaggart brought a case before the Court of Exchequer in Dublin against “Jannet” or Jane, widow of Robert McMurdy, and James Mulligan, two subtenants of the late Alexander Browne of Castlehill, Gilford. A mistake had been made in the original title deed made by Marcus, Lord Dungannon, in which the unnamed clerk, who had written the lease, had allegedly written the yearly rent chargeable as £9 5s 0d, but the executors appealed to the court that this should be £9 15s 0d, which Janet and James refused to pay. The original record of this was destroyed in the fire that burned the old Public Record Office of Ireland, Dublin, in 1922, but a note extracted by the renowned Irish Genealogist Gertrude Thrift, and I have copied it below
December 2, 1708
‘Exchequer Bill of Samuel Warring of Waringstown, Co. Down, Esq., Robert Ross of the City of Dublin and Robert Gordon of Ballytagort, Co. Down, Gent., execs of the last will of Alexander Browne, late of Castlehill in said county, Gent. Deceased, state that the late Lord Viscount Dungannon was in the year 1700 sized in fee of the town and lands of Ballyevey (modern Balleevy) in the barony of Iveagh, Co. Down and came to an agreement with Robert McMurdy then tenant to part of the said land, which was stated in writing that Robert should hold all that part of the said of town of Ballyevey at £9 15. 0 per annum. The said lands were purchased in February 1705 by the guardians for John Browne, a minor eldest son and heir of Alex Browne and [unclear] the clerk, who engrossed the lease pursuant to the contract who made the rent £9 5. 0., instead of £9 15. 0. And now the widow of Robert McMurdy refused to pay more than £5 5. 0.
Jennett also Jane. No answer’.
An amendment noting that ‘the execs of the will of Alexander Browne state that the Lord Viscount Dungannon was seized in fee in 1700 of the town and lands of Ballyevey.
Another bill brought in by the reasoning the mistake that was made by the clerk in writing £9. 5. instead of £9. 15. Vs James Mulligan was tenant to part of the townland of Ballyevey’.
James MULLIGAN was born somewhere in the neighbour of Belfast or more likely somewhere between Lisburn and Belfast. In the family history of John Francis Mulligan, there is a note of a ‘wardrope’ with the initials inscribed “1678 IM <> MM”, which was sold by auction at Millbank, Tullyconnaught on 22 October, 1826. In the late Middle Ages in Scotland, the letter “J” could be written as “I” and IM may have been the initial for James Mulligan. The name of his wife is unknown, and no record has survived to say when he died. Besides James, he almost certainly had other children, including Joseph Mulligan, who died at Tullyconnaught, c. 1717, when his will was made probate at the Diocese Court of Dromore. A branch of the family also lived in the townland of Corbet in the parish of Magherally, which bounded the townland of Tullyconnaught. Part of this townland extended over the river Bann, where Mulligan’s bridge was built to connect Mulligans who lived Parkmount near Corbet and those at Millbank. In 1729, probate was granted at the Diocese Court of Dromore to the executors of the last will and testament of John Mulligan of Corbet in the parish of Magherally. The original wills of Joseph and John Mulligan were destroyed in 1922, which has left a gap in our understanding of the Mulligans during this period.
Griffith’s Valuation Map of Tullyconnaught 1864
Before the First Presbyterian Church of Banbridge was built in 1716, the congregation worshipped at the Presbyterian Church of Magherally. In 1717, the Rev. Samuel Young, minister of Magherally was given the charge of both churches and preached alternately in the two churches. It is very possible that when James married Sarah Jelly, his first wife, they were married by the minister of Magherally. They appear to have had at least one son, Robert, before Sarah died. According to version 2 of the tradition, her descendants were settled in on farms in the vicinities of Brague, Tirfergus, Coulneeran and Knockgorm. By his second wife, Isabella Glen, James had sons: James, Samuel, Joseph and William. The eldest son, James married Sarah Smith, daughter of John Smith and to them, James gave them a farm of land in Tullyconnaught. James’ second son Samuel got part of the Ballievy property, his third son Joseph got another farm in Tullyconnaught, his youngest son William got the remaining piece in Ballievy. From the James Mulligan and Isobella Glen, the pedigrees of the Mulligans of Tullyconnaught are traced.
By his first wife, Sara Kelly
Robert MULLIGAN, he lived in the townland of Balleevy.
By his second wife, Isabella Glen
James MULLIGAN, he lived in the townland of Tullyconnaught and married Sarah Smith daughter of John Smith.
Samuel MULLIGAN, lived at Balleevy, and his probably the same Samuel Mulligan of Balleevy, whose last will and testament was registered and probate granted in 1747.
Joseph MULLIGAN, lived at Tullyconnaught,
William MULLIGAN, lived at Balleevy.
Seapatrick is one of the very few parishes in County Down to have surviving copies of the Protestant Householder’s Lists of 1740 and the Religious Census of 1766. These were all extracted and published in Captain Richard Linn’s “A History of Banbridge” from the originals held in the Public Record Office of Ireland before it was burned in 1922. In the Protestant Householder’s Lists of 1740, “Hu Mulligan” and “Samuel Moligan” are listed together, as are “Sam Moligan” and “Wm Muligan” who were probably living in the townland of Balleevy. “John Molligan” and “James Muligan” were almost certain living in the townland of Tullyconnaught. All the Mulligans are listed as protestants in the Religious Census of 1766: Hugh Mulligan, Joseph Mulligan, Charles Mulligan and Hugh Mulligan are listed together, as are John and James Mulligan, followed by Danl Mulligan, James Mulligan, James Mulligan, widow Mulligan, and lastly Samuel Mulligan. During the eighteenth century, some of the Mulligans built large stone houses that became known as the Linen Houses, many of which are mentioned Linn’s A History of Banbridge and more recently, Kathleen Rankin’s “The Linen Houses of the Bann Valley”.
MULLIGANS OF OLD MI LLBANK, TULLYCONNAUGHT
John MULLIGAN, born at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down; he married Miss Gamble, niece of Dr. Gamble, who lived near Belfast. They had two known sons, James Mulligan of Tullyconnaught, who married Mary Anne Dougan of Armagh and Hugh Mulligan of Tullyconnaught, who is called “my brother” in James Mulligan’s last will and testament date 21 September, 1791. Hugh married Elizabeth Dougan, probably the sister of Mary Anne Dougan, at Mountnorris Presbyterian Church on 2 September, 1769.
James Mulligan and Mary Anne Dougan had nine children all born at Tullyconnaught.
1. Mary MULLIGAN, bapt 2 December, 1766, at First Presbyterian Church of Banbridge.
2. Jane MULLIGAN, bapt 9 November, 1769, at the same church.
3. William MULLIGAN, bapt 21 July, 1773, at same church.
4. John MULLIGAN, bapt 17 December 1774, at same church. See next generation.
5. Francis MULLIGAN, bapt 3 February, 1788, at same church.
6. Margaret MULLIGAN, bapt 11 June, 1780, at same church.
7. James MULLIGAN, bapt 19 November, 1782, at same church.
8. Sarah MULLIGAN, bapt 3 August, 1786, at same church, and died an infant.
9. Sarah MULLIGAN, bapt 19 December, 1787, at same church.
Rev. John MULLIGAN, bapt 17 December, 1774, second son of James Mulligan and Mary Ann Dougan. He became a minister of the Presbyterian Church. He was licenced by the Presbytery of Armagh and ordained minister of Moria Presbyterian Church of Moria in November 1802. He withdrew his congregation from the General Synod of Ulster and joined the Remonstrant Synod in 1830. He married Catherine MULLIGAN, daughter of Daniel Mulligan and Mary Kinnier of Tullyconnaught. She was baptised on 1 March, 1769,
MULLIGANS OF TULLYCONNAUGHT HOUSE (CALLED MANSION PLACE)
Charles MULLIGAN, born 1726, Tullyconnaught eldest son of James Mulligan and Sarah Smith of Tullyconnaught; he died 9 September 1806, aged 80 years at the Mansion Place, Tullyconnaught. He married Mary Campbell of Hans Campbell of Lisnagenale, Co. Down. She was born about 1726 and died 21 July, 1819, Tullyconnaught, Co. Down. Charles and Mary had an only son called James Charles Mulligan, see the next generation.
James MULLIGAN, born at Tullyconnaught son of James Mulligan and Sarah Smith of Tullyconnaught; he married Euphemia Mahallan daughter of George Mahallan of Tullyconnaught. In her father’s will dated 8 December, 1749, James is called James Mulligan, junior, and both he and his wife were bequeathed the “farm of land they now dwell in, saving and reserving out of the land, the kiln and a house to keep my turf in for drying my own corn”. In 1783, probate was granted to the executors of James Mulligan of Tullyconnaught at the Diocese Court of Dromore. It is very likely, this is the will of James Mulligan, which is son George Mulligan inherited.
James Charles MULLIGAN, only son of Charles Mulligan and Mary Campbell, born 12 August, 1766, Tullyconnaught; he married Margaret Mulligan, daughter of John MULLIGAN of Tullyconnaught, and died 3 July, 1849, at Tullyconnaught House, Banbridge. His death was announced in the Belfast Newsletter, Tuesday, 17 July, 1849. They had two sons:
1. Hans Mulligan, born 14 November, 1808, died 31 March, 1830.
2. Thomas Campbell Mulligan, born 29 January, 1814, see below:
Thomas Campbell MULLIGAN, born 29 January, 1814, and died 22 November, 1890, at Killeen, Meigh, Newry, at the age of 76 years. His profession is given as Surgeon, and the Registrar’s informant was Eliza Jane McBride. He married Emily Watson at Killinchy Presbyterian Church in Co. Down, on 19 August, 1841. She was born at Ballywalter, Co. Down, on 29 June, 1818, the daughter of John Watson and Jane Bankhead, and died at Burnside, Co. Down, on 4 October, 1853.
Thomas and Emily had two known sons:
1. James Charles MULLIGAN, born on 26 June, 1842 at Ballywalter, Co. Down, see sixth generation.
2. John Watson MULLIGAN, born on 1 March, 1844, at Tullyconnaught, see sixth generation.
3. Maria Emily MULLIGAN, born on 30 June, 1848, at Tullyconnaught. She married Rev. David Bowen, and pre-
James Charles MULLIGAN, eldest son of Dr. Thomas Campbell Mulligan and his wife Emily Watson, was born on 26 June, 1842, Ballywalter, County Down, and died 31 October, 1926, Union in Chicago, Illinois. He married Martha Jane SHEKELTON on 29 November, 1864, Banbridge, Co. Down. She was born on 10 November 1847 to Thomas and Elizabeth Shekelton, Banbridge and died 6 May, 1921, Union in Chicago, Illinois. James farmed at Fort Charles, Tullyconnaught, and at Riversdale, Aughnacloy, County Tyrone, before he emigrated to the USA in 1881 or 1882. James and Martha had in total eleven children:
1. Henrietta MULLIGAN, born 5 September, 1865, and died the same day.
2. Charles James MULLIGAN, born 28 September, 1866, at Crilly, Aghaloo, Co. Tyrone and died 29 March, 1926 in St. Luke’s Hospital, Chicago. He married Margarite (Maggie) Ely of Chicago on 8 January, 1889 at Woodlawn Park Episcopal Church, Chicago. She born on 11 June, 1871, in Minnesota, the step daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George Scoville of Bass Lake. She deid on 6 February, 1928, in Knox, Indiana.
3. Emily MULLIGAN, born 3 October, 1868, Crilly, Aghaloo, Co. Tyrone, and died 8 April, 1943, at S Union, Chicago. She married Charles Wright, who was born 27 April, 1864 and died 17 October, 1918, at Wesley Memorial Hospital, Chicago.
4. Mary Elizabeth MULLIGAN, born 29 October, 1870, at Crilly, Aghaloo, Co. Tyrone, and died 6 December, 1873, at Fort Charles, Tullyconnaught.
5. Thomas Cecil MULLIGAN, born 11 March, 1873, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down and died 13 November, 1917, at Eggleston, Chicago. He married Minnie Thorngren on 24 December, 1896, in USA. Minnie was born 8 April, 1872, and died 14 October, 1923, at Eggleston.
6. John Watson (Jack) MULLIGAN, born 29 June, 1875, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, and died at 23 April, 1923, at Lowe, Chicago. He married Alice Amber Myrick in Chicago on 22 June, 1904. Alice was born October, 1876, and died in Chicago Heights on 16 March, 1951. Jack and Alice had no children.
7. Maria MULLIGAN, born 11 May, 1877, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, and died 30 May, 1969, in Chicago. She married twice, firstly, Cornelia Younker and secondly, Joseph Gordon Hohman on 17 December, 1903, in Chicago.
8. Jane Clements (Jennie) MULLIGAN, born 7 January, 1879, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, and died on 6 February, 1934, at Wallace, Chicago. She married John L. Ohmans, born 20 June, 1876, in Sweden.
9. Gilbert MULLIGAN, born 21 May, 1880, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, and died on 25 September, 1926, at Roseland Hospital, Chicago. He married Harriet Ray in June, 1905, in Chicago.
10. William Alexander Shekelton MULLIGAN, born 27 July, 1881, at Tullyconnaught, Co. Down, and died 6 May, 1955, in Chicago. He married Malleta (Millie) Cooke, about 1908. She was born 24 August, 1885, in Chicago, and died 12 September, 1965.
11. Herbert Ewart Gladstone MULLIGAN, born 27 June, 1886, at Pullman, Chicago, and was the only child of James and Martha to be born in USA. He died 14 August, 1964, aged 76 years. He married Lilla Gierman on 25 June, 1912, at the Bethany Union Church of Washington Heights, Illinois. Lilla was born 11 March, 1889, and died 10 March, 1988.
John Watson MULLIGAN, second son of Dr. Thomas Campbell Mulligan and his wife Emily Watson, born 1 March, 1844, at Summerville, Tullyconnaught. John died 9 September, 1918, at Millbank, Tullyconnaught. He married twice, two sisters, Arabella Edna and Frances Ann Hampton, and by them had the following children:
1st Wife. Arabella Edna Hampton, born August, 1846, Plasnewydd, Maesteg, Glamorgan, died 1874, Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales. Arabella was born 4 August, 1846, at Plasnewydd, Maesteg, Glamorgan, and died 1874, at Pontypool, Monmouthshire. She was the daughter of of Charles Joseph Hampton and Frances Clara Wood.
1. Hans MULLIGAN, born 6 April, 1871, at Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone, and died 16 July, 1874, at The Hawthorn’s, Abersychan, Wales.
2. Edmund MULLIGAN, born 6 October, 1872, at Abersychan, and died 29 July, 1873, at Abersychan, Monmouthshire, Wales.
3. Nora MULLIGAN, born 1 August, 1873, at Abersychan, and died 14 July, 1874, at Abersychan, Monmouthshire, Wales.
4. Kathleen MULLIGAN, born 1 August, 1873, at Abersychan, and died 19 March, 1957, at Claverley, Shropshire, England.
2nd Wife. Frances Ann Hampton on 20 June, 1876, Thornaby on Tees, York, England. Frances, born 6 March, 1845, daughter of Charles Joseph Hampton (b. 12 May, 1811, Llanover, Monmouthshire, Wales) and Frances Clara Wood (b. c.1814, Cwmdowse, Monmouthshire, Wales). She died on 3 April, 1935, at Millbank, Tullyconnaught.
1. Watson Hampton MULLIGAN, born 1877, at Abersychan, and died at 1908 at Abersychan.
2. Alan Thomas Mulligan, born 8 October, 1878, Abersychan, and died 24 June, 1891, at Abersychan, Monmouthshire, Wales.
3. Charles Hunt Chambre MULLIGAN, born 12 October, 1880, at Abersychan, and died 13 April, 1942, at Banbridge, Co. Down.
4. Arabella Edna MULLIGAN, born 23 October, 1881, at Abersychan, and died 8 February, 1885, at Abersychan, Wales.
5. Ulick John Gordon Mulligan, born 25 March, 1885, Abersychan, Monmouthshire.
6. Kenneth Francis MULLIGAN, born 7 November, 1886, Abersychan, and died 18 September, 1936, Monmuthshire, Wales.